Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Open Discussion / Re: ESink Tips Megathread
« Last post by ahluka on Today at 03:55:59 AM »
Holy shit, where did you come from?  Haven't heard from you in ages!  How are you?

And sure, go ahead and blame me.  What's she gonna do to me?  ;)

I agree with your assessment of kids.  Which is why you have to try so hard to be a responsible adult around then because they're much more likely to copy your bad habits than your good ones!

Living the dream, of course! How about you?

I'm a walking bad habit. I fear for their futures.

Have I missed anything?
« Last post by ober on August 13, 2018, 09:57:52 AM »
Holy shit, where did you come from?  Haven't heard from you in ages!  How are you?

And sure, go ahead and blame me.  What's she gonna do to me?  ;)

I agree with your assessment of kids.  Which is why you have to try so hard to be a responsible adult around then because they're much more likely to copy your bad habits than your good ones!
« Last post by ahluka on August 13, 2018, 09:23:22 AM »
I've been thinking about asking this on the forums for a while and maybe we did it a while ago but I figure it can't hurt to do again.  And 'tips' could be wide ranging.  My goal is to gather sage advice from you all because I think every one of you has good ideas and I trust you all so I want to lean into that and gain something from it and give back at the same time. 

I will start.  The point is to give one piece of advice per reply.  Something that you've learned over time, or something you do to maintain your house that you never would have thought of previously.

My first tip: Find one thing that makes you happy and don't feel guilty about spending money on it.  I know too many people that try to go cheap on everything but are completely miserable.  If you can find one thing (eating out, buying shoes, etc.), do it and don't feel guilty about spending money on that if other things that don't bring you happiness are easily done on the cheap.

I like this thread and I like this tip and I like you. In fact, I'm about to use this tip to justify buying more than my monthly allowance (self-imposed) of cigars, and when the missus shouts at me later this week I'll be blaming it on "this bloke on a forum I used to frequent"...

My tip: probably not news to any of you old gits, but jesus christ kids do not learn by being told--even calmly or conversationally. I'm only recently learning this, after years of stress thanks to my ignorance. They seem to learn by watching and copying, like monkeys, which is a shame because I'm a twat.
Open Discussion / Re: So, this weekend I jumped out of a plane at 13,000 feet...
« Last post by ahluka on August 13, 2018, 09:18:49 AM »
It's all on the instructor until the landing. It definitely takes it out on shoulders and legs when the chute opens. I have bruises on my shoulders. When the landing happens you have a choice. Lift your legs or have them broken. In the UK at least there are weight limits. I was 243 pounds (:eek:) and had to drop below 210 to be allowed to do it.

"Will I die?" Well, I didn't, and it's pretty safe, but of course there is a risk - you're falling 2 1/2 miles after all. It's a rush, that's for sure. My first reaction when e hit the ground was when can I do it again.

As for selfies, I wasn't allowed a GP, but I suspect that's more to do with them wanting to sell a video package.

The weight limit is what I came here to ask; this has been on my bucket list for years but I've always figured I'm too much of a fat mess to be able to tick it off. Apparently I was correct.

Good on you anyway, looks like you had a great day!
Photography/Video/Movies & TV / Re: The 100
« Last post by micah on August 13, 2018, 01:09:56 AM »
Is this the one where a bunch of teens have to repopulate the earth or something?

uh, sorta. Its your classic post-apocalyptic future world. A 100 misfit teens are sent to Earth to see if it is inhabitable; it is but they have to deal with the natives and their own in-fighting.  Not really much repopulating going on.

My wife was really into it for the first couple seasons but then we sort of lost interest. Might be worth catching up I think there are a couple more seasons now.
you totally should, the first 4 seasons are on Netflix, season 5 just ended so I'm having to download those now.
Hardware / Re: Laptop Suggestions
« Last post by charlie on August 12, 2018, 05:04:00 PM »
« Last post by KnuckleBuckett on August 11, 2018, 08:02:06 AM »
Yo.  Saw this today.  Refurbished at Dell stuff.  Might or might not want refurbs, but the form factor might give you both worlds. 

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/laptops?filter_model=1091&utm_campaign=cj_affiliate_sale&utm_medium=BensBargains.com+%28Internet+Brands%29&utm_source=cj&utm_content=404255&utm_term=13411240

I guess what I am saying is that there are plenty of options out there that are in laptop form and either separate or fold completely back so that for the most part you can have a tablet and laptop in one.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/5000-series/15-2-in-1-5579/spd/inspiron-15-5579-2-in-1-laptop/fncwdar0008haff?prg=1&VEN1=12578053-404255-fe2.4.2yDi.0.1FOsEf.3bO4FQ.a.P7.3&AID=404255&dgc=CJ&DGSeg=DHS&cid=198375&lid=45846&acd=12309198375458460&VEN3=813104436807061214

Check out the Lenovo Yoga series too.

« Last post by ober on August 10, 2018, 07:59:20 AM »
Those would be good but go back to the main problem she has.  Her requirement is to basically have the device on her lap.  With most of these tablets there is no rigid way to keep the screen vertical or the keyboard doesn't have enough room to rest your palms to type normally (like the samsung pic you linked to). 

Ultimately I think the ultrabook form factor seems ideal for what she's going for.
Photography/Video/Movies & TV / Re: Explained
« Last post by ober on August 10, 2018, 07:54:17 AM »
I love this type of thing.  Will have to check it out.  My kids like watching shows like that too.
Photography/Video/Movies & TV / Re: Explained
« Last post by KnuckleBuckett on August 10, 2018, 06:06:06 AM »
Cool show!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10