Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Open Discussion / Re: New TV
« Last post by Mike on February 21, 2018, 05:18:34 PM »
FullPageOS is an OS for the raspberry pi that is designed to open in kiosk mode.  From there you can have it launch the browser to a particular page.  Probably cheaper to do that than find a TV with built in browser.

For clarification:  The kiosk mode is on the raspberry pi, not on the TV.
« Last post by charlie on February 21, 2018, 04:01:06 PM »
Yeah... if I had time an energy I do like that as an option. I'm not familiar with how common a "kiosk mode" is on any of these TVs, or if we specifically need a web browser. The benefit of serving it from a webpage is that it is easier for folks to update remotely (versus the original idea, which was to put images on a USB stick and have them loop like a screensaver).
« Last post by Mike on February 20, 2018, 03:04:01 PM »
Charlie, we use Raspberry PIs to power our displays.  They are easy to hide behind the TV itself.  Using a webpage isn't a bad way, especially if you are in kiosk mode and it doesn't show the browser frame.
« Last post by charlie on February 20, 2018, 02:52:58 PM »
Specifically my wife is looking for a TV that has a browser that can be used to display a page from the school site as a bulletin board of sorts. From my brief investigation only Samsung TVs have this available, but I haven't looked that hard. She found a TCL and asked about it the same day you posted this so I was curious.

I'm not convinced that displaying a webpage is the best way to have a bulletin board type thing on a screen at the school, but for now it's our best idea.
« Last post by ober on February 17, 2018, 02:41:21 PM »
@charlie - not to my knowledge.  I've never used or wanted to use a browser on my tv.  There might be a browser app but I've never bothered to look.  I'm with Knuck in that regard.
« Last post by KnuckleBuckett on February 17, 2018, 08:45:00 AM »
Personally I think the need for the smart part of the TV is overblown.  TV companies still have not learned to do the smart part well.  This is compared to the external devices that do it well, are relatively inexpensive, and can be upgraded over the life of the TV.  We use a Roku and there are plenty of other similar units.  Get a TV for video and leave the audio and smarts to those who do it well.

« Last post by charlie on February 16, 2018, 05:53:14 PM »
There's no web browser on this is there?
« Last post by ober on February 16, 2018, 12:29:53 PM »
« Last post by micah on February 16, 2018, 12:08:44 PM »
do the 4k tv's do upconverstion? and if so, perhaps that's part of why content creators don't bother with the added cost on their end?
« Last post by ober on February 16, 2018, 08:11:26 AM »
Yeah, I listened to a podcast about that recently and I just think there hasn't been enough people that have upgraded to 4K sets to make it worthwhile.  And streaming 4K content, which is how I think most people watch anything now, is difficult due to size and bandwidth limitations.  It's not really all that surprising if you think about it but I do think it will happen.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10