Author Topic: Letting the machines manage my ink  (Read 5700 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Letting the machines manage my ink
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 06:10:01 AM »
Our Canon has never had an issue waking and working.  I am not a fan of the thing due to the time it takes to wake and actually start printing, but it has served us well for about 5 years.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 11:03:43 AM »
I have a feeling it's something in Windows 10.  When I look at the printer, it doesn't appear to be asleep.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 11:21:18 AM »
according to this random thread I just googled, which you've probably seen, there is a way to disable auto-off/sleep and change the timeout length to "0."

Also, the last post in the thread from this past September says that a firmware update, for whatever model they're talking about in that thread, fixed the problem.  Maybe check your firm wear is up to date and then google around for the settings?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 11:13:41 PM »
I haven't had a printer in years.  Every once in a while we need something printed and I do it at work (shh, don't tell anyone).
The last printer I had, we had set up for a few years then one of the times we moved I didn't set it up.  Eventually I wanted to scan something (not even print, just use the built-in scanner) but it wouldn't let me until I changed the ink. I said, F-that and never plugged it in again. Its in a closet, someday I'll get around to just throwing it out.

just saw this comic and thought of this conversation...
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 08:54:50 AM »
Since you brought it back up, I'll provide an update. 

1) Annoying thing about the printer - it always goes 'offline' despite the fact that I can log into it online and it says it is online.  So we have to turn it all the way off and back on whenever we want to print (unless we've printed in the past... 15 min?  I have a thread that says it needs a dedicated IP so it doesn't get 'knocked off' the network but I haven't taken the time to configure it yet.  Seems like it should be able to handle basic DHCP.

2) I've had the printer for over a month and I'm still on the initial ink that came with it and we've printed a fair amount.  They sent me the next pack of ink but I haven't had to use it yet.  So I can't really review that part yet.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 06:20:27 AM »
I have a buddy in Florida with an earlier model of that brand.  The offline thing was a constant issue with his.  Power cycling works, but eats ink.  He finally moved it and ran copper.  I hate that printer.  Be warned the printer cartridges are dated.  When they pass their date the firmware in the printer won't use them even if they are full.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 07:40:44 AM »
Does he use the instant ink system?  I would think they wouldn't use the dated thing because that's going to cost them more, not me.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 06:01:47 AM »
He does. Do you remember Marv?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe