Author Topic: Letting the machines manage my ink  (Read 5711 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Letting the machines manage my ink
« on: November 30, 2017, 10:07:30 PM »
I had to buy a new printer, and I decided to go a different route this time.  I got an HP printer.  And I signed up for the instant ink program because the printer was eligible for it and I think financially it will make sense. 

The plan we signed up for is 50 pages/month with rollover for $2.99.  On average, we print maybe 25 pages/month.  I figure I typically buy ink twice a year at about 25 bucks each because I am a cheap fuck and I get the generic stuff.  So at $36/year, I'm more than likely ahead.  But we'll see.  I can always cancel it and buy traditional ink cartridges. 

I like the printer so far too.  HP Envy 4520.  It actually has an email and I can email attachments to that address and it will print them, which is SUPER handy because I would have used that 100 times in the past.  And it seems to work better with our phones too.

I'll update this in a few months.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Letting the machines manage my ink
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 11:43:19 AM »
I went laser with my last printer and have yet to need a new toner yet. But I only print B/W stuff. If I need to print color I'll go to one of the print shops and use their stuff. I got tired of needing to buy ink every time I occasionally needed to print.

Curious how it works out for you though after a while. My dad just got a new ink printer so I wonder if it might be worth it for him.
This signature intentionally left blank.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 07:52:22 PM »
I haven't had a printer in years.  Every once in a while we need something printed and I do it at work (shh, don't tell anyone).
The last printer I had, we had set up for a few years then one of the times we moved I didn't set it up.  Eventually I wanted to scan something (not even print, just use the built-in scanner) but it wouldn't let me until I changed the ink. I said, F-that and never plugged it in again. Its in a closet, someday I'll get around to just throwing it out.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 02:56:29 PM »
I went laser with my last printer and have yet to need a new toner yet. But I only print B/W stuff. If I need to print color I'll go to one of the print shops and use their stuff. I got tired of needing to buy ink every time I occasionally needed to print.

Same here. Have a B&W Laser all in one. My kids copy quite a bit of stuff and so does my wife for PTO and crap. I still probably use it the most for work.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 06:53:32 PM »
but it wouldn't let me until I changed the ink.

I switched after getting frustrated every time I tried to print B/W even when I had plenty of black but was out of any of the other colors it wouldn't let me. Grrr...
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 10:34:23 PM »
We don't print a ton, but there plenty of times when we need to print something and it's inconvenient to wait until I can print it at work.  My wife likes to print out schedules and stuff and she did more when she was more involved with the school.  Plus she prints stuff for the work that she does.  I think 50/month is a lot more than we'll actually use.  I'll post again after a while.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 03:57:29 AM »
I have instant ink too Ben. Works out fine, but it pisses me off that I can only carry pages over for one month.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 06:01:52 AM »
We use our printers, one in her office and one in mine, fairly regularly.  Curious to see how it works out Ben.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 10:42:32 AM »
@RobR - that must have been in the fine print.  Curious.

@Knuck - I'll let ya know.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 05:11:04 PM »
Why isn't this thread about tattoo AIs?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 10:36:14 PM »
OK, so problem already, and this was a major gripe with our Canon printer.  After 2 hrs of inactivity, it fucking goes offline.  So we have to turn it off and back on.  There doesn't seem to be an option to disable that.  Anyone deal with this and have a solution?  One thing I saw said to have a computer ping it every 10 minutes to keep it alive, but there are times when none of our computers are on.  so ... what do I do?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 06:11:32 AM »
 :swordfight:

Obes v HP
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 06:08:21 AM by KnuckleBuckett »

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 09:41:03 AM »
Well it sucks because I went away from Canon for this reason but it seems like I'm right back in the same fuckin spot.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 10:23:43 AM »
Weird, our hp printer wakes up when we send it a print job. No need to push any buttons.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 10:24:56 AM »
... I guess I should say it used to wake up when we sent it a print job. Now it's just a paper weight since my toddler ripped the control panel off of it.