Author Topic: Straight Razors  (Read 4727 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Straight Razors
« on: January 01, 2017, 08:48:07 PM »
Anyone shave with a straight razor? I don't really shave much anymore since I generally keep a beard 95% of the time. I do trim up my cheeks and neck so I rarely go through blades. Since I've gotten into kitchen knives lately and have all of the sharpening gear now I've been looking at maybe getting a straight razor. Looking for brand/website recommendations if you have any.
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Straight Razors
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 09:05:03 AM »
Not here.  I do use a brush and safety razor though.  Helluva lot easier on the face and cheaper by far.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 09:15:32 AM »
Nope.  But I only shave the lower part of my neck as I have a beard 100% of the time.  I actually don't remember the last time I changed my razor blade.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 12:04:56 PM »
Mmm. So after some youtube watching and actually looking for razors I've realized straight razors are pretty spendy to try and get into. I think I might start with the safety razor/shavette route first.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 05:09:24 PM »
I'm itching to buy one. Ever since I started shaving my head on the regular (every other day) I go through razors pretty quickly. I use Harry's blades now and they work very well - but I would like something more perminent

here is what I'm looking at

https://www.portlandrazorco.com/classic-straight-razors/
http://www.hartsteel.com/razors.html
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 05:25:02 PM »
I ordered a Parker 96R and SR1, reasonably cheap to try out and see how they work. They seem to be common on the "starting out" list.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 12:57:33 AM »
Got the razors this evening, love same day delivery. The SR1 worked OK. I trimmed up my cheeks with it and I think it'll work alright. I was a bit cautious but didn't have any issues. I'll try the 96R next time but it seems pretty well built. I know it's a "long" handle but it really doesn't feel all that long and I like the knurled handle, it seems pretty comfortable.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 09:14:14 AM »
I'll just shave with one of my axes
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 10:38:48 AM »
I'll just shave with one of my axes
Ha!
I'd like to see that. Be sure to post video.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 12:14:48 PM »
Yes. That's a worthy Youtube share right there.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 10:59:01 PM »
So I know I'm bringing back an old thread but I finally (years later) put a blade in my Parker 96R and tried it tonight. It's a really nice razor I think. I've just been using the SR1 and I don't think I'll ever go back to "regular" blades again. The 96R felt pretty nice but I don't like it as much for my beard trim ups. I had a hard time feeling where the blade actually was and trimmed a bit lower than I wanted to. So while it would work for a full shave or maybe goatee I think I'm going to be sticking with the straight razor for now. And I've been looking for a traditional one to start using instead of the SR1. It's fine and works great and the blades are dirt cheap but I think I'm settled enough to commit now.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 08:41:31 AM »
Still using my Feather blades and handle.  No complaints.