Author Topic: Who do you root for, and why?  (Read 6291 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Who do you root for, and why?
« on: November 04, 2006, 01:58:59 PM »
I pretty much only follow US sports, so my teams are all from the states. These are my official favorites, teams that I would not ever root against unless they play someone else on the list. There are also a ton of teams/individuals I root for casually but aren't entrenched as an "official favorite".

NFL: 49ers, distant second is Steelers
NBA: Kings
MLB: Giants, very very close second is A's
NHL: what's this? Sharks, I guess.
College Sports: Div 1AA - UCD, Div 1A- UCLA

Some individual favorites that aren't official favorites: Woods, Mickelson, Sorenstam, Penske, Mears, Earnhardt Jr, Williams, Williams, Ivey, Chan

Why? I pretty much followed most of the local teams that my parents followed when I grew up. I don't know why I picked UCLA, but they've always been my favorite. I think I tend to like teams with gold in their uniform. UCD because I went there. The Steelers was weird, I always kind of liked them, but when I noticed I was kind of rooting for them year after year, I eventually decided to make it official, so now there is no going back. Most of the individuals I started watching early in their career or when I first started watching the "sport", so I claim it is not my fault that I picked a bunch of dominators.

What about you all?

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
Re: Who do you root for, and why?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 02:19:05 PM »
NFL: Im not a big fan of football, but.. I cheer for the Bills and the Colts.
NBA: Raptors :), they have made a lot of changes this year, I hope things work out.
MLB: Not a big fan of baseball either, but I cheer for the Blue Jays
NHL: I dont have one team I follow, but since Andy Moog (my favourite player) is part of the Stars organization, they would be up there, I have to be loyal :).  Im also a fan of the Oilers and Flames.  I dont like the Senators.. but Ill cheer for every Canadian team once we are in the playoffs :)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 02:43:50 PM »
I pretty much cheer for the home teams, so Bears, Bulls, Fire and Sox.

I also like:

NFL: Raiders and Seahawks
NBA: San Antonio and Kings
NHL: not a huge fan at all - but there is a team in Chicago called the wolves - not sure what devision they play in but I've been to a few games and had a blast.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 03:38:38 PM »
I support all the Detroit teams, because I've lived in MI my whole life.  I'm also a big MSU fan, as I grew up 15 minutes from it, and a lot of my friends (and my girlfriend) went there

Secondary teams
NHL: Flyers, just because I picked them one time when I was playing a NHL 98 league with my friends
NFL: Probably the Bears, because I like the way they play, and for a similar reason as the Flyers.  I realize rooting for a team in the same division as the Lions breaks all sorts of rules
MLB: The Nationals, and I don't really have a reason why

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 09:16:48 PM »
NFL: Steelers... duh ... my family has always been Steelers fans and they were the closest geography wise
MLB: Long time fan of the O's, again for geography reasons.  My allegiance has wained over the past few years and I'm considering picking a new team since I moved out of that area... probably gonna go with the Indians.  I like to pick a team that I can at least watch from time to time if I want.
NBA: As a kid, the Supersonics... I don't know why.  I just thought they were badass.  I don't really care about the NBA and I haven't followed it much so my teams change.  I did like the Kings, but I'm probably gonna root for the home team and go with the Cavs now that I'm here.  Definately isn't a bad time to jump on that bandwagon either.
NHL: never followed it much, but if I had to pick I'd say Flyers... again, it was a geography thing growing up.
NCAA Football: Michigan... I was given a little basketball that had U of M on it as a kid and it kinda stuck.  Besides, OSU sucks.

I think that's pretty much it.  Oh... and the Frederick Keys for minor league baseball... I went to several games when I lived there and really got to like the team.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 11:36:38 PM »
Just through location:
NFL: Giants and Steelers
MLB: Yanks (but Pirates games are way cheaper)
NHL: Devils (but I so don't follow hockey)
NBA I'm not a big fan of, but I guess way back when I was young, I was like "yay bulls!"
NCAA football: ...mmm USC? I know a guy that plays there from my town (which is a big deal considering the population's ~9000)

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 01:55:36 AM »
NFL: Broncos, this has been the case long before I ever moved to Denver
MLB: Dodgers, first real year of watching baseball was their miracle 1988 run
NHL: meh, probably the Sharks, although I really don't care
NBA: If I had to choose I'd go Nuggets, but I'll root for any team that can knock off the big names like the Lakers, Spurs, Pistons, etc.  NBA basketball just pisses me off so I never watch, just look at the standings once a week or so
NCAA:  No real team, again I usually root for whatever makes the best matchup at the end of the year for football although I definately root for Cinderellas come March Madness

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 07:46:10 AM »
NFL: Saints - Hometown team, number one always...Most seasons - when they suck - I'll root for Atlanta because I know their coach.  If the Saints actually have a team, I hope Atlanta loses painfully.  I'll also cheer for the Mannings for hometown reasons, and a college friend as a complete Pats nut, so if they're not playing the Colts, I'll give a cheer for the Patriots.

MBL - Don't really pay much attention, I usually just pick someone late. edit - the same Pats fan got me rooting for the R. Sox from time to time
NHL - No real interest
NBA - I'll give the Hornets a nod from time to time, but I've never been able to get into pro BBall
NCAA - I'm a luke warm LSU fan, but really my teams are WVU and UK (Kentucky).  My family is from Lexington, KY, so I've been brought up to cheer for them.  Some childhood experiences and a good friend/nutcase in college turned me into a WVU fan.  Oh...and I'll be a Cinderella fan in the Dance.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 09:52:55 AM by kermi3 »
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 09:47:28 AM »
Patriots, Bruins, Red Sox, Celtics.  In that order!

Did anyone catch last night Bruins game? they tied it up 4-4 with under a minute to play. Glenn Murray was bleeding out his eye at the start of OT and 17 seconds later he scored the winning goal.

As for the Pats - I've been a fan since I was a kid and they lost the super bowl to the bears. I was a die hard fan for the 15 years that they sucked between then and the current dynasty.

Baseball is boring to watch on TV - so I will admit that I am a bandwagon fan.
When I was a kid - towards the end of Larry Bird's playing career - I was a big celtics fan.  But I honestly have not watched a full game in over a decade.

oh, and GO UCONN!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 10:53:31 AM by micah »
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 10:46:33 AM »
NFL - Philly

It starterd when i was real young because of my area, and just became part of my life.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 05:44:39 PM »
NHL: Oilers, Leafs

I'll watch the odd CFL game here and there, NFL once and a while, but I don't follow the leagues.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 06:41:02 PM »
NBA: Used to be a huge fan of Orlando back in the 90's, but now I guess it would be Boston.
MLB: Mets.  Based on the fact I was once given a Met's baseball cap from the States.
NFL: I just can't get my head around this sport.
NHL: No interest.

Now for some Australian comps..

NRL (National Rugby League Australia): Newcastle Knights and Nth Queensland Cowboys.
AFL (Australian Football League): Brisbane Lions
A-League (Australian Soccer League): Queensland Roar