Author Topic: I finally made rice  (Read 5311 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
I finally made rice
« on: November 07, 2018, 08:58:34 PM »
I feel like this should be embarrassing to admit but, that's part of my endearing personality.  Until yesterday, I went the first 39-1/2 years of my life and never made rice*.  And I don't mean like a fancy jambalaya, I mean like rice + water + time = cooked rice.  For some reason I thought it was something that I would just mess up and wasn't worth the time and effort for something I was going to just burn in a pan and then have to wash and I didn't think I liked rice enough to make it.  Turns out you can buy a 16oz bag at walmart for like $0.50 and half the bag makes a crap-ton of rice with 20 minutes of very minimal effort.

We've had it the last 2 nights in a row now.

*edit to avoid confusion: there have been probably a half-dozen times that I've bought like the trader-joes frozen bag of rice that you microwave. By "making rice" I mean, like actually cooking the rice on the stove with the correct water to dried rice ratio.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 09:14:50 PM by micah »
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: I finally made rice
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 10:25:09 PM »
I married Asian and so we have a rice cooker and I have never made rice before.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 08:37:23 AM »
You have a rice cooker meaning an appliance or your wife?  LOL

I really like rice and we even bought a rice cooker but never really thought having it was worth it.  The effort was basically the same (both cooking and cleanup) so I didn't really understand the need for another giant device to have laying around the kitchen.  Maybe someone can explain the benefit to me?  I think we might still have it but I'm pretty sure we gave it away/donated it.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 09:30:35 AM »
Yeah, I stopped using my rice cooker a long time ago.  It is pretty rare that I would need that much rice at once time and one cup of dried rice makes more than enough for the two of us for one night.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 10:53:28 AM »
Uh, rice cookers are the bomb. We usually just make a cup of rice for the two of us if it's with dinner. You don't have to worry about how long the rice is cooking for on the stove. It can cook different styles of rice. There's almost no need to "clean up" besides rinsing and wiping down if it's a good one because the rice shouldn't stick to it. It keeps rice warm and shouldn't dry out unless you keep it in there for a week. The only reason I've not used my rice cooker is if there's a recipe I got from Hello Fresh or similar and it included rice.

I generally like cooking rice in my rice cooker vs my Instant Pot even though it would be better at cooking brown rice because of the non-stick coating.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 10:16:50 PM »
I used to be bad at making rice. It would always stick to the bottom. But I have the best inlaws. They had some pots that I thought were really neat but they came from one of those special order catalogs. They got new stuff from the State Fair and ended up giving us their old stuff. Turns out one of their pots is the perfect rice making one. I don't know why but it now comes out perfect so we make rice quite a bit now.

If you want to get crazy, get some Orzo and brown it with some oil and garlic before adding in water and rice an then cook the rice as you normally would. Mix up the orzo before letting it cook so it's mixed in. Really neat texture difference and flavor for something a little bit more special.
This signature intentionally left blank.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 09:33:30 PM »
You have a rice cooker meaning an appliance or your wife?  LOL

:lol:

You don't have to worry about how long the rice is cooking for on the stove.

Yeah... for me this is it. Press a button and come back to it 20 minutes or 200 minutes later and it's good either way.