Author Topic: Pizza  (Read 4423 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Pizza
« on: May 28, 2021, 12:30:29 PM »
I can say that I will [as long as I can help it] not buy a pizza from a restaurant or frozen ever again.

Because we started making our own and it is super easy and soooooooooo good.

This is the dough recipe I am using. https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/homemade-pizza-crust-recipe/  I just make 3 times as much, make 2 pizzas, and freeze the dough for 4 more. For the sauce I am using classic organic marinara from costco. And as for the ingredients, whatever you like! The key is to get the oven really hot, like at least 450 hot. And it takes a while to get to that temp. and then 9 minutes, and presto - deliciousness.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Pizza
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 03:43:44 PM »
Homemade pizza is amazing!  We use our bread machine to make it so prep time takes a bit (usually 45 min, I think).  My personal favorite topping is sliced meatballs but I've never done that myself.  We still get pizza from a few local places because it's decent pizza around here and it does save time in a pinch.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 03:35:42 PM »
I've been making pizzas using tortillas. It's actually worked out quite well if you like a small thin crust. Takes no time to make.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 08:43:10 AM »
Been doing pizzas at home a few times.  I've got a nice baking steel for them.  Just need to remember to make the dough ahead of time.  I take my oven all the way to 500 and let it sit there for 30-45 minutes to get the steel ready.

For the sauce I make it using canned whole tomatoes, salt, oregano from the garden (or dried if I need more), and a food processor.  This next batch I'm thinking of putting basil in the sauce since I have a bunch.

I've also been considering using our grill to cook the pizza.  Now that it is summer and we are hitting 100+ degree days I don't want to heat the house up too much.  Plus, the grill can get much hotter than the oven.

All that said, my dough throwing needs a lot of work.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 10:52:14 AM »
I've been making pizzas using tortillas. It's actually worked out quite well if you like a small thin crust. Takes no time to make.

we've been done the tortillas pizza as well - awesome if you need something really quick!

Been doing pizzas at home a few times.  I've got a nice baking steel for them.  Just need to remember to make the dough ahead of time.  I take my oven all the way to 500 and let it sit there for 30-45 minutes to get the steel ready.

For the sauce I make it using canned whole tomatoes, salt, oregano from the garden (or dried if I need more), and a food processor.  This next batch I'm thinking of putting basil in the sauce since I have a bunch.

I've also been considering using our grill to cook the pizza.  Now that it is summer and we are hitting 100+ degree days I don't want to heat the house up too much.  Plus, the grill can get much hotter than the oven.

All that said, my dough throwing needs a lot of work.

I will try to make home made sauce when our tomatoes are ready - but I do like the basil sauce idea!

And I am right there with you with the grill - I will definitely try it on the green egg.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 12:17:49 PM »
There is a restaurant near here called 'sweet basil pizzeria' and they definitely use basil in their pizzas and it's really good.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 10:52:41 PM »
Well the quintessential pizza is the neapolitan pizza also known as the margherita pizza.  It is tomato, basil, and mozzarella.

That said, I still like my pepperoni pizza.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 10:44:04 AM »
Got some pitas to make pita calzones tonight. That should be interesting.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 11:17:22 AM »

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2021, 04:41:24 PM »
> I've also been considering using our grill to cook the pizza.  Now that it is summer and we are hitting 100+ degree days I don't want to heat the house up too much.  Plus, the grill can get much hotter than the oven.

Ok, tried it today.  Yeah, it gets MUCH hotter.  In the oven it is 7-8 minutes depending on how brown I want the bottom.  At 5 minutes on the grill the first pizza was BURNT on the bottom.  The toppings and the dough were still nicely cooked, it was just the bottom that was burnt.  The second pizza I had on for 4 minutes and that might have been a touch too long (should have gone for 3:30).

Since it is easier to access the grill than the oven and the heat was kept outside I'd say it has potential.  Just need to watch it closer.