Author Topic: allofmp3.com  (Read 6548 times)

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
allofmp3.com
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 11:39:59 PM »
Quote from: Govtcheez
Oh, I don't know.  I didn't put any thought into that reply, it was just parroted from the arguments I've seen.  I do remember seeing tables that break up how money is made, and something like 3 cents per CD goes to the artist.

I believe most popular bands lose a bit of money from shows. It depends on how much the ticket is, if they have a fancy tour bus/advertisement, how much equipment they tote around, etc. The bands that earn from shows are those that drive cars and don't advertise.

this link talks about a few touring details
http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: allofmp3.com
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 10:54:32 AM »
ethic if you put out a duet cd with your skanky girlfriend, i'll buy it.

Stephen

• Jackass IV
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 04:53:15 PM »
What I think is cool is groups like Defiance, Ohio, who are obviously not in it for the money, as they have their music up for free download.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 06:44:28 PM »
What I think is cool is groups like Defiance, Ohio, who obviously suck, as they have their music up for free download.

Stephen

• Jackass IV
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 06:46:55 PM »
I can't argue with that.

Regardless :P

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2006, 08:14:45 PM »
What I think is cool is groups like Defiance, Ohio, who are obviously not in it for the money, as they have their music up for free download.

Free downoads are a good way to gain popularity. If they were hugely popular do you think they would still put them up for free? ... perhaps, perhaps not.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2006, 03:15:09 AM »
CD's are just a promotional tool for live performances.  There is not much money in either of these, it's the by-products that generate the real money, i.e. publishing royalties, radio, DVDs, posters, t-shirts etc.  It's the hype around the band, the product that creates earnings.  Basically a record company will pay you and advance of say, $50,000.  The recoup earnings based on album sales, promotions, management etc., depending on what type of contract a band has signed.  So out of that $50,000 you might only make $25,000 if you're lucky.  An album usually has to ship >500,000 units for the record company and the artist to break even.  Anything over that point is when the money cashes in.   

Stephen

• Jackass IV
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2006, 12:17:09 PM »
This is nice to know. I'm going to have to look into this all more if I ever start looking for a record deal or anything.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2006, 08:11:39 PM »
You'll still give US free music though, right??

Stephen

• Jackass IV
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2006, 08:23:44 PM »
Fo sho.

I'll make sure my contract explicitly allows me to give music to ESinkers. I hear the major recording companies are obnoxious about that kind of stuff.

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2006, 12:37:21 AM »
as long as piracy is still easy, fast and risk free, I dont see it stopping

/get a real job
i have a stationary fetish

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2006, 09:42:22 AM »
The RIAA is suing allofmp3 for a trillion dollars ahahahahahha

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2006, 10:00:22 AM »
Look folks.

Say I sell you a dozen eggs for $15.  You take them home start making an omlette and find out that the rest are rotten.  What do you do?  Well duh!  You get your $$ back or get a good dozen.  No brainer.  Just plain fair business.

Now.  You see where I am heading with this?

You buy an album with say 20 cuts.  One or two is good the rest suck.  WTF?  Talk about an outdated model and a rip off!!!  Fuck those assholes from he artist(s) to the record company!  They have no problem rippng us I have no problem with us ripping them back.  Either way they get concert advertising.

Now I am NOT talking about the few artists who actually put out abums where all or most of the cuts are good or great.  That is hard work and deserves a TON of respect!  I always pay retail for these albums even if I initially got them free or on the cheap.  Fair is fair.

Worse they try to limit what we can do with what we buy with our money and should be our property.  Again screw them.  I paid for it.  I own it.

Whaddya all think?

Knuck

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2006, 10:07:20 AM »
and...

If it hadn't been for the Nap-sters AlloMP3s of the world...

1) A great many artists would never have become successful, well paid, and popularly known.

2) The industry would have taken forever to change and or entered the modern digital age.

Oh and by the way.

I believe that being a musician is an honorable job.  To make it honorable and better paying we need Nap-sters to force change in the industry.

Knuck

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2006, 02:53:31 PM »
>  A great many artists would never have become successful, well paid, and popularly known.

Eh?  I'm curious to know who these "great many artists" are that were discovered on Napster.