Author Topic: too much bass  (Read 2547 times)

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
too much bass
« on: April 29, 2007, 10:03:48 PM »
So, while mixing it, it didn't sound so bad, and listening it on my speakers at home isn't so bad, but man, listening to the mix in studio, this song was really booming.  Does it feel that way for anyone else?

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/jkim1/m/jkim1_jellyfish.mp3

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: too much bass
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 10:24:14 PM »
Sounds like a standing wave.  Is the room divisible?  For example is it 10 x 20?

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 11:00:53 PM »
Really don't think it's a standing wave...the room has just about every treatment possible done to diffuse sound properly.  The subwoofer was even turned off.  And no it's not me, it's a guy?  This is for a multitrack recording class.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 11:15:21 PM »
It's not too bad. It's just a bit muddy in my opinion. I think if you did a little bit of selective EQ to some of the tracks so everything isn't competing for the same space it could make it a bit tighter and clear. I'm not a big fan of the vocal panning either. Separating the instruments would help too. Basically everything just sounds like it's stacked ontop of each other. Sum that all up and the bass starts to build up.

A little background on how you did the recording/what you did to mix it would be helpful.
This signature intentionally left blank.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 11:34:56 PM »
I think the harmonica at the beginning is the best part of the song. That should be in the solo.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 07:59:06 AM »
For this one, guitar, drums, and bass were recorded at the same time, and harmonica, voice, and backing guitars were done after.  Drums are panned and gated, guitars are panned and with a high pass filter to cut their own boominess, and the voice...well, I didn't know what exactly to do with that, but I did put some eq on that and everything else.

I haven't actually looked at the project file in a couple of weeks, but it's due soon, and I figured I should fix it.  Maybe just looking at it with fresh eyes will help me fix it.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 09:39:41 AM »
Maybe just looking at it with fresh eyes will help me fix it.

And a fresh set of ears.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 10:22:31 AM »
I took a look at it in Audition and noticed you have quite a bit of energy in the 200hz and below area. I was a bit aggressive and did a overall EQ with a high pass around 100-125 and a -6db cut at 160 with a Q of 1.2.