Author Topic: Few questions regarding my site  (Read 4601 times)

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
Few questions regarding my site
« on: October 12, 2005, 08:54:09 PM »
Ive posted the link to this site:

http://www.freewebs.com/prongs44/test/productivity.html

on two sites to get a review, and havent received that much criticism, although a few said it is rather plain, but its not going to be a high traffic site, so that doesnt bug me.

Some other comments were regarding the justified text, and the line-spacing as well as the indent on the first line.  Since I have one span tag encompassing several words to make them blue and underlined, the underline exists between the gaps in words.  As someone pointed it out, it looks funny when there is a large gap (due to justifying the text), so I had to put span tags around the individual words.

Ober really liked my previous tabs, and after putting them back in and working with them, I like them too :P

http://www.freewebs.com/apogee35/productivity.html

Only two pages work, service and productivity.

The changes:

I put in another image for the top logo, I will probably tone down the opacitiy and add some text to it.

The tabs are now different and they move up when you hover.  When you hover on the productivity tabs, they change to a slightly different blue, however under service, its the same tab which moves up and down.

Should I change the colour of the tab when you hover, or just keep it the same?

I also added an image to the tabs, and the line containing Contact Us (a shaded effect).

I also added a drop cap (I tried it out before, and saw it on tgm's site, and thought I would put it in again), should I keep it, or should it go?

Other than that, I think the site is pretty much done...

Thanks!!!

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 12:12:41 AM »
I'm not a fan of where the contact link is. I'd rather see it in the menu or with the copyright at the bottom.
I also would be curious to see what the menu would look like without the gaps between them, but I think they look cool.
I like the main image but I think there's too much going on in the image behind the menu.
I like the colors though but I have to agree that the spacing in the paragraph looks odd.
I like a simpler website, just make sure you don't have too many links as tabs. I'd say you're OK but I'd say you're just about at the limit.

Looking good though I'd say.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 12:17:35 AM »
Its fairly simple, but with all the tabs it seems like its trying to be more than it is and that makes the simple look a lil lacking. Condense things like Technology and Experience with the About Us stuff.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 08:02:11 AM »
As the others have said, there isn't hardly enough content to justify all the tabs, but I think it looks good with that many tabs... maybe you just need to add more content?  And I still love the effect.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 05:00:55 PM »
>>I'm not a fan of where the contact link is. I'd rather see it in the menu or with the copyright at the bottom.

I didnt want to put Contact Us as a tab, since there isnt much room where the tabs are.  I just thought it would look better somewhere else.

I will move it to the footer to see how it looks, maybe making the height of the horizontal bar where it is located greater will bring a little more attention to it?  Btw contact us will link to another page.

My reasoning behind the justification of the main text, and adding the spacing between the lines was the lack of content.  My boss is fairly busy, and if I asked him for more, I dont think I would ever get it......

Ill put the text back to normal and reduce the image, or center the text with respect to the image height.

As for the tabs without the space, you can see how I had them here:

http://www.freewebs.com/prongs44/test/productivity.html

If you get them to pop-up when they are next to eachother, it just doesnt have the same effect, so I opted for the moving tabs.

Thanks again, Ill get to work on it later today.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 10:03:33 PM »
UPDATE!!!!!

I worked on it a bit today, thanks for the suggestions.

I didnt want to remove the Contact Us from that blue horizontal line, since I liked how it hovered :P.  I tried it in the footer, but realized I needed information to contact the webmaster (myself).  I could always put the contact info for Jokr Productions in the blue bar, and Contact Us next to the copyright info.  I also added XHTML and CSS validation on the right side.  I think it looks okay, and doesnt draw too much attention. (After typing this out, I made a quick change to the file, and both versions are below)

I also changed the font color from a dark grey to black, it stands out more this way.

I reduced the size of the image, in the html file, so it is a little blurry, but when it is smaller, the text isnt so squashed, and in my opinion looks a lot better.

I also changed the footer a little bit, but those are the minor changes I made.

I like it.

Two links:

Contact Us in the blue bar
http://www.freewebs.com/apogee35/productivity1.html

Contact Us in the footer
http://www.freewebs.com/apogee35/productivity2.html

People may not know Jokr Productions is referring to the webmaster, so I may change the text to webmaster, if thats they style I choose.

Thanks again!