Author Topic: Building a laser cutter  (Read 9215 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Building a laser cutter
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 01:34:25 PM »
Yea it's a process. You can engrave them fairly easily, I did one of my old ones with a dremel and an engraving kit. The machine should be able to handle it, and the tenifer can't be compromised by either of these processes.

The Glock is a pretty amazing gun.

So do you think I'm on the right idea with a 12x12 moving bed/stationary gentry? My main thinking's are that the smaller unit with a stationary gentry will give it the most solid build and best chance of consistent tolerance. Also likely to be cheaper than a moving gentry.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 09:43:04 PM »
So Rob, I'm thinking I will make it out of MDF. It has to be out of wood, metal really isn't an option with the tools I have available. I have worked with MDF building speaker boxes and it has always struck me as a very solid wood that does not easily warp.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 02:24:58 PM »
The only downside to a moving table is that they take more space for the same table size.

There's a huge mix of opinions on MDF machines, but to me it seems ideal for a small machine, as long as it's sealed properly, and is a decent quality MDF.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 04:27:36 PM »
Do you think a mobile gentry would be ok in this case? I'm concerned the metal I am engraving and cutting will offer enough fight to cause flex and make it inaccurate.

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 08:17:52 AM »
Sorry, I don't have the experience to answer that question. What I do know is that a correctly designed moving gantry is as accurate as a moving table.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 01:36:37 AM »
Thinking about just ordering this and using my dremel with different engraving bits. I have the highest power dremel that dremel offers and I'm confident it can handle it. Not sure I can make a mount though. Little confused on what else to order.

http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Toolworks-CNC-Carving-Machine/dp/B002ARTLUG/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1338442326&sr=1-1

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 09:19:20 AM »
I'm pretty 99% sure I am going to use this kit. Pricing is about right and it is the right size. If the dremel doesn't cut it I can just get a router.

http://wiki.zentoolworks.com/index.php?title=Assemble_Zen_Toolworks_CNC_Machine_DIY_Kit_7x7

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 12:14:26 PM »
here is the 7x12 being used with a dremel weaker than mine. Man......I think im buying it rob

http://www.amazon.com/review/R37OYBQCNC84A7/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B002ARTLUG&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 03:29:36 PM »
Yeah, that looks a nice piece of kit. You know that you will need to buy the electronics as well, I assume? Dremel's aren't noted for their tight tolerance, but it should get you started. Lots of guys seem to use laminate trimmers.

Let me know how you get on.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 03:39:59 PM »
Do you think a mobile gentry would be ok in this case? I'm concerned the metal I am engraving and cutting will offer enough fight to cause flex and make it inaccurate.

gentry

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 03:43:48 PM »
This is what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlGu51uqNgQ

I could watch that for hours...

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 03:44:13 PM »

gentry

Gantry?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 03:46:51 PM »

gentry

Gantry?

:thumbsup:  :D

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 06:28:43 PM »
Yeah, that looks a nice piece of kit. You know that you will need to buy the electronics as well, I assume? Dremel's aren't noted for their tight tolerance, but it should get you started. Lots of guys seem to use laminate trimmers.

Let me know how you get on.

I emailed the company this morning and it turns out the owner has used the 7x7 with a dremel to do some work on his 1911. He said it worked well but with a better cutter in place of the dremel it really opened up the wings for the machine. So he said the 7x7 can absolutely handle what I want. They sell the other parts pretty reasonable so within I would say two weeks I'm going to drop the money and wait on the porch for UPS.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 08:48:12 PM »
I just picked up a working Dell Desktop with XP for running the CNC. Got it for free, doing a fresh install now!

The hardest thing will be calibrating this I think. Like telling it exactly where to engrave what and to what scale.