Author Topic: server pda  (Read 3162 times)

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
server pda
« on: May 16, 2006, 05:02:52 PM »
i'd like to run a linux server on a pda. anybody know any good pda's with linux support? (a fair amount of memory would be nice, wifi support too, but color and display don't really matter)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: server pda
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 03:14:31 AM »
you mean, like a PC?

I think some of the Palm models can run Linux on them but i think you're going to have a tough time using a PDA as a server. Then again, my cell phone/pda has more memory and horsepower than my actual web server so good luck.

Check this one out maybe.
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8811342597.html

Or a large list of possible ones:
http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT8728350077.html
This signature intentionally left blank.

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 12:05:52 AM »
i got a sharp zaurus sl-5500 for around $130 on ebay. it'll be a bit underpowered but it's linux-based so hopefully I can purchase a compactflash ethernet card and run vnc on it

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 01:33:11 PM »
im out of the loop on pdas and such, so for my own knowledge, why would anyone want or need to run a server on a pda?
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 01:09:33 AM »
it's much more energy efficient than my desktop and it doesn't make any noise. plus i can carry it around with me (at least in wireless range)

there's a set of tools at http://www.pocketworkstation.com i used to set everything up. basically, the zaurus is an arm chipset, and openzaurus is the distribution you can install over the factory-installed one. (the factory one is linux too, but it's an old gadget and openzaurus is significantly more up to date)

pocketworkstation is a debian tarball you unzip into a directory which is its own operating system, living entirely in the larger openzaurus linux distribution through the magic of chroot. (chroot changes directory to something and makes it root, and has measures to somewhat prevent people from accessing other directories on the system if they're smart).

of course, when i say server, i'm really just talking about a desktop running linux for messing around type things, having gaim and thunderbird open also, and possibly xmms if i feel like it. it's a bit slow when doing things over vnc but for a total price of $230 i'm not complaining. ($130 zaurus pda + $30 wireless card + $70 1gb securedigital card)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 01:18:37 AM »
ahh it all makes sense now :)
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?