Author Topic: making digital video from analog video...  (Read 3328 times)

Micko

• Veseli Bosanac
  • Jackass II
making digital video from analog video...
« on: May 10, 2005, 04:27:52 AM »
Hi guys, I have found my old analog camera with a few tapes I wish to digitalize and save to my computer. I have a problem. Camera have two standard outputs audio and video, and on my computer I have composite TV out, S-Video Out and audio input. When I connect audio cable from camera to audio input I hear sound in my speakers with no programs opened. Now My question is how to connect video cable and which program to use for recording? I tried to connect video cable from camera to composite TV-OUT , cable "cinch" fits but I don't know if this is correct. I simply don't have any input on my computer on which is written TV in or something.
I'm looking forward to your help.
P.S. I've found this:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/getstarted/downloadvideo.mspx
but
"1.
 Connect your analog camera or VCR to your computer's capture device, and then set the camera mode to play recorded video (often labeled VTR or VCR on an analog camera).
 "
is not helping me much. Do I need something more from hardware?
Thanks
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 04:34:28 AM by Micko »

yoshi

• I AM A COW
  • Jackass III
  • Thingy
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 05:34:25 AM »
You need either:
- A TV capture card (a $90 ones will do, so you get a TV-in function) or
- A Camcorder with Analog to Digital passthru ($400 will get you a lower end one)
GO AWAY

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 03:34:43 PM »
i'd go with the tv card personally. being cheap in this matter would probably cause a drop in quality from what you have on tape to the final product. (and, ones with mpeg2 encoding built in are much more cpu-friendly)