Author Topic: What is ES reading?  (Read 82613 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: What is ES reading?
« Reply #165 on: August 26, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
Finally finished ADWD the other day, now I just have to wait until the next book comes out.  Hopefully it happens soon because I'll probably have to reread the whole series if it's another 5 years before it comes out again

Currently reading this, but it's not very good.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #166 on: August 26, 2011, 10:12:26 PM »
Finally finished ADWD the other day, now I just have to wait until the next book comes out.  Hopefully it happens soon because I'll probably have to reread the whole series if it's another 5 years before it comes out again

Currently reading this, but it's not very good.

is congratulations in order?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #167 on: August 26, 2011, 10:58:36 PM »
:)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #168 on: August 27, 2011, 12:18:35 AM »
well congratulations then! I knew you had it in you :p

how far along?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #169 on: August 27, 2011, 08:37:16 AM »
Technically, she's got it in her.

Just finished the first trimester, everything going good so far.

That book does suck though, anyone have any other ideas?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #170 on: August 27, 2011, 10:58:19 AM »
yes...dig up the thread about fatherly advice. Actually many of the things mentioned there were true! and helpful too

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #171 on: August 27, 2011, 03:38:58 PM »
That just shows how many people read this thread and how many actually click (or hover) on links.

I mean, I'm sure finishing the fifth book in an epic fantasy series might be difficult and sort of worthy of congratulations... but this makes more sense now.

Anyhoo... :dblthumb2: Good luck with that.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #172 on: August 27, 2011, 05:28:20 PM »
I was wondering how long it was gonna take anyone to pick up on it

But thanks, we're really excited :)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #173 on: September 07, 2011, 12:02:42 AM »
I'm done with the Clash of Kings and on two the next - what a trip! holy shit, I'm loving these books. Is there anything else quite like it? what can you guys recommend?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2011, 08:28:35 AM »
I was recommended a trilogy by a guy named Joe Abercrombie and I'm slogging my way through the first book, but it's not nearly as interesting as ASOIAF.

Currently reading that, Why We Run and re-reading All the Pretty Horses, because Cormac McCarthy is amazing

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #175 on: September 19, 2011, 02:35:12 PM »
  I'm going to be start Moneyball since I finally got it and baseball is starting.
Book is great and if you like baseball and haven't read it yet you're a loser and should fix that immediately.  Also there is going to be a movie!

Read this over the last week and certainly enjoyed it. I'm not sure I loved the writing style or how the book was laid out, but the subject matter was right up my ally. It's just coincidence that the movie is coming out now (I just bought the book with leftover Borders gift cards since it was going out of business). After reading the book I don't see how the movie would be any good and I definitely don't see Brad Pitt as Billy Beane, but it's getting good reviews so I guess I'll make sure to watch it when it comes out on DVD.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #176 on: September 19, 2011, 04:51:09 PM »
I think the movie is going to be a pretty standard underdog sports movie with the team rallying around a new leader and his weird style to win everything*!

*does not really win everything

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #177 on: September 19, 2011, 05:02:40 PM »
Yeah... I get the feeling that they're going to make major changes for dramatic purposes. For example, who is Peter Brand (the character Jonah Hill is playing). That's gotta be a combo of DePodesta and the other Ivy league guy they had. Also, I doubt they finish with the loss to the Twins. Doh!

That was a fun time to be a fan, though.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #178 on: September 19, 2011, 05:45:35 PM »
Yeah, I think Jonah Hill is basically supposed to be playing DePo but I believe he sued because he wasn't happy about the way he was portrayed in the book or would be in the movie

It'd be sort of logical to stop the movie at the end of the regular season because Beane's strategies are basically not applicable in the playoffs.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #179 on: September 19, 2011, 06:02:34 PM »
Yeah, I think Jonah Hill is basically supposed to be playing DePo but I believe he sued because he wasn't happy about the way he was portrayed in the book or would be in the movie

It'd be sort of logical to stop the movie at the end of the regular season because Beane's strategies are basically not applicable in the playoffs.
So another Major League movie?