Author Topic: The art of Deception (Kevin Mitnick)  (Read 5258 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
The art of Deception (Kevin Mitnick)
« on: April 20, 2008, 12:11:14 PM »
I'm sure there isnt a person on this forum who doesnt know who Kevin Mitnick is, but im just wondering if anyone else has read his book? I'm about halfway through it now, and so far i like it but i can only give it like a 5 or 6. Its redundent. Not in the way that makes his point, which he does very well, but in a way that it goes beyond someone trying to make a point to almost just trying to fill pages.

I actually feel bad saying that, because Mitnick is one of my idols of the IT world. The man is brilliant in both the technology and programming as well as his exceptional social engineering skills. I was kind of expecting this to be more of a "let me tell you the whole story" book, and im kind of disappointed he hasnt written one. Like, his life from his point of view.

Thoughts?
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: The art of Deception (Kevin Mitnick)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 03:51:38 PM »
I bought that book a year or two ago from thinkgeek.com (it came discounted with the "Network Security" tshirt I bought my brother for Christmas).

I only got about half way through it (because I don't read) but I enjoyed it. You're  right though, it is somewhat redundant and not autobiographical at all.  For me though, the redundancy of showing so many different examples of social engineering really got my mind thinking about. Its nothing I had really thought about before, and now I find myself doing it all the time (not for sinister deeds but for cutting through bullshit).
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 03:54:51 PM »
I have always been into SE. In fact, i used some earlier this week to obtain someones account information from Sprint. He definitly brings in some angles i had not thought of though. I kept reading on after my post, and it seems to be getting better. I know alot about mitnicks history, but i never knew the one about him and the friend pulling one over on the developers of LOCK-11. Funny stuff =] It also did not occur to me at first that 90% of these stories ARE his, he just isnt stupid enough to use his own name. The details, providing software used and where to obtain it, the extensive first person view....it isnt coincidence or having alot of friends. It's him.

Theres two chapters at the end called "Kevins story" and "Mitnicks lost chapter" but im trying not to skip ahead. So i may get what i want out of it after all. Anyone whos interested in reading it feel free to pm me or hit google for the free PDF version.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 04:02:39 PM by RoD »
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 04:35:19 PM »
I'm sure there isnt a person on this forum who doesnt know who Kevin Mitnick is

Sorry. :dunno:

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 04:40:36 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Mitnick

the book in question is basically about social engineering -- the art of getting sensitive information out of people without them knowing it. Usually by getting little bits of information that doesn't seem important from several different people then putting it all together.

EDIT: a good example I just thought of was in the movie Die Hard 4 when the "...and I'm a Mac" kid stole a car by hitting the on-star button and convincing the operator that he had a medical emergency but couldn't start the car.  Human nature is to be helpful, even if it means bending the rules, and the operator remotely starts the car.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 04:48:14 PM by micah »
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 05:21:43 PM »
I'm sure there isnt a person on this forum who doesnt know who Kevin Mitnick is

Sorry. :dunno:

It's ok hes only the most notorious hacker of all time.

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 12:23:21 PM »
I read about half of it as well. Interesting read, but after a bit most of the stories are the same or involve some kind of technical exploit which has been lost in the sands of time (mainly fucking with the phone system).

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 08:42:27 PM »
He needs a tell all