Author Topic: BAM! $ Pleez  (Read 11021 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
BAM! $ Pleez
« on: March 06, 2012, 06:24:27 AM »

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: BAM! $ Pleez
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 07:22:45 AM »
Maybe I'm a bad fan, but I don't have a huge issue with this.  I'm also sure that the Saints are far from the only team that does this

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
It wasn't just the one team, although so far it's all being linked to Williams.

And I do have a problem with it, at least the part about giving money for injuring other players. As a fan I want to see the best guys playing every week. I hate injuries on any team. So I certainly don't want to see guys being incentivized to injure others.

Not that I think Williams or the players are horrible people or anything, I can totally see this situation happening without any major ill intents. But I hope the NFL does a full investigation and puts a stop to it as much as possible.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 12:34:16 PM »
I'm so embarrassed.  I'm also done with Greg Williams.  I know how the Saints run things and that Williams was pretty autonomous, but still - if higher ups knew about it...and they did...

I know it's part of the game, and that many other teams do it, but it's different when the coach administers it.  You're paying people to intentionally harm others beyond the scope of the game.  That's not okay.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:36:01 PM »
I'll be honest, my lack of outrage on this is mostly because the top target appeared to be Brett Favre and fuck him

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 02:01:43 PM »
:+1:
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 02:57:51 PM »
Understanding that football is a violent sport on purpose, I still have an issue with such a flagrant pay to maim policy.  This is probably not limited to NFL.  I expect most pro sports have this kind of thing going on.

I hope the driving sports are staying clear of this though.  Think they are?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 03:04:09 PM »
Would you guys have a big problem if the coach was just telling the players to injure someone but not giving them bounties?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 03:12:22 PM »
Would you guys have a big problem if the coach was just telling the players to injure someone but not giving them bounties?
Yes, I'd have the same problem with that as I have with this.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 03:13:26 PM »
I hope the driving sports are staying clear of this though.  Think they are?

I don't know if they'd have actual monetary incentives, but it's likely in my opinion that some drivers have large incentives to crash others, especially in driving sports that use teams significantly.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 03:14:21 PM »
That's fine, at least you're being consistent.  I bring it up because the fact that they're getting a tiny percentage of their pay for these hits seems to be a big deal.

The NFL has such a fuzzy line between being a super intense player that is just being very aggressive and stuff like this.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
That's fine, at least you're being consistent.  I bring it up because the fact that they're getting a tiny percentage of their pay for these hits seems to be a big deal.

The NFL has such a fuzzy line between being a super intense player that is just being very aggressive and stuff like this.

I can't speak for others, but I think the problem is that there are two problems. One is that they are being told to injure other players. This is an issue with or without the money, the money is just another way of creating incentive.

The second issue is using the money for any kind of performance, including normal sportsmanlike performance. I think that's where the system started and was mostly used for if you listen to the players. That's ok in spirit and most fans don't care about it, but the NFL doesn't want that kind of stuff going on outside the labor deal and rules on salaries and stuff like that. So really, fans don't care about that, but the NFL wants to put a stop to it.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 03:24:13 PM »
> So really, fans don't care about that, but the NFL wants to put a stop to it.

That's a really good point that I hadn't thought of.

I can't wait to see "Receive $25K for breaking a leg" worked into contracts with other performance incentives

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 03:30:04 PM »

Sure would.  Incentive or not it is a horrible practice.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 11:23:45 AM »

Yes...but less so...I know that happens.  I actually do have more of a problem once the organization is providing financial incentive for it....Don't pull back the veil and remind me that I'm in love with a blood sport....