Poll

Given a fresh bag of in-shell, salted and roasted peanuts, how do you eat your peanuts?

I eat the whole thing, shell and all
0 (0%)
I suck the salt off the shell, cracking it open with my teeth then discarding the hull and eating the nuts inside
1 (8.3%)
I only break them open with my hands and only the actual peanut goes in my mouth
11 (91.7%)
I refuse to eat peanuts that haven't been shelled for me
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: How do you eat in-shell peanuts  (Read 7985 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
How do you eat in-shell peanuts
« on: October 15, 2013, 01:23:03 PM »
I just got a bag at 7-Eleven and ate them for lunch.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: How do you eat in-shell peanuts
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 01:43:27 PM »
who the fuck would eat the hull?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 02:19:33 PM »
"I suck the salt off the shell of each one, carcking it open with my teeth then discarding the hull" and get all the other crap that is on the outside

who the fuck would eat the hull?
sem-serious: Do you eat peanuts at all anymore?  Does your daughter's allergy change your peanut eating behavior?  I also agree with you about the eating of the shell (who calls it a hull?)

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 04:17:27 PM »
I updated the 2nd option for grammatical clarity.  I like to suck on the shells for a bit to soften them up and raise my sodium levels then spit the shell out the window (I usually them while driving) and eat the bean.

Also, I used "hull" 'cause I had already used the word "shell" like 80 times.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 04:32:12 PM »
I updated the 2nd option for grammatical clarity.  I like to suck on the shells for a bit to soften them up and raise my sodium levels then spit the shell out the window (I usually them while driving) and eat the bean.

Also, I used "hull" 'cause I had already used the word "shell" like 80 times.
So you like to litter?

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 04:44:26 PM »
its biodegradable.  Like compost.  its not like their cigarette butts

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 07:07:55 PM »
sem-serious: Do you eat peanuts at all anymore?  Does your daughter's allergy change your peanut eating behavior?  I also agree with you about the eating of the shell (who calls it a hull?)
She has a tree-nut allergy (as well as eggs).  She is not allergic to peanuts.  They are very different.  I think peanuts are actually a legume or something like that. 

We have no tree nuts in the house except for maybe random stuff that my wife and I eat after the kids are in bed and we dispose of safely.  We have peanut butter in the fridge and Sophie has even tried it but only avoids it because she doesn't like the taste.

In regards to her allergies, we just switched allergists again.  The last one didn't have the balls to actually give us any real advice and totally botched her last skin test.  We went back to one of the allergists in the area that was previously out of network for us but that we loved when we saw him for Colin's GI issues.  He immediately ordered a blood test (which neither of the other 2 ever did) and said that if the egg comes back at 50 or less (out of 100), then we could do a baked-in egg food challenge with her and then allow her to start eating egg baked into stuff like muffins or cakes and that has shown to help kids outgrow egg allergies 14x faster!  That was last Thursday, we have to wait 10-14 days for the lab results.  I'm kind of stoked for the results but at the same time scared.

Oh, and we're also getting the new Auvi-Q injector instead of the epi-Pen so that will be cool.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread, but I haven't updated you guys on that stuff in a while.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 07:09:31 PM »
I'm kinda with Mike on that one.  Even though it bio-degrades, it will still sit along the side of the road until it does.  Is it that hard to keep them and toss them out later?

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 07:14:10 PM »
Hmm, I guess I never thought about it.  What about like, an apple core or banana peel?  you'd be ok throwing that out the window right? I mean, we're talking about wooded or rural areas. I'm not chucking garbage on peoples lawns or on city streets.

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 07:22:13 PM »
peanut shells, apple cores, etc are going to biodegrade much faster outside of a landfill. Composting is the best option, esp since they're rich in N

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 07:46:58 PM »
Uhh... apple core and banana peel would be a "no" for me, but peanut shells I don't mind so much.

And I'm with the crowd, shell the peanuts by hand.

I do option #2 with sunflower seeds like a normal human being, and I do option #1 with pumpkin seeds. And I do option #3 with pistachios. And I do option #4 with nuts that I've never seen inside their shell before.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 08:07:49 PM »
Fucking republicans trying to ruin the environment ;)

She has a tree-nut allergy (as well as eggs).  She is not allergic to peanuts.  They are very different.  I think peanuts are actually a legume or something like that. 

Ah, sorry must have gotten them switched (since peanut allergies are really common).  And yeah, peanuts are legumes.  I was just curious if a child's allergies kept the parents from eating it also (either out of solidarity or because of residue trace).  Interesting to hear your perspective.

Hmm, I guess I never thought about it.  What about like, an apple core or banana peel?  you'd be ok throwing that out the window right? I mean, we're talking about wooded or rural areas. I'm not chucking garbage on peoples lawns or on city streets.

I'm against that as well.  I try to follow the leave no trace rule so I keep my garbage with me until I can dispose of it properly.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 08:11:25 PM »
peanut shells, apple cores, etc are going to biodegrade much faster outside of a landfill. Composting is the best option, esp since they're rich in N
In the first SF city building we (company) were in we had three type of bins:  trash, recycling, and compost.  Was interesting to see it being done on a large scale.  It is also amazing what they are making compostable now.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 01:17:15 PM »
I will sometimes break open the peanut with my teeth... but I don't really make any soft tissue contact with the shell.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein