Author Topic: Covid-19 mental health check-in  (Read 20381 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Covid-19 mental health check-in
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 10:23:58 AM »
I haven't had much issue getting into work from home.  I used to do it a lot and it's sort of about your company culture.  We've made it a point to be on video chat as much as possible.  A lot of the teams are just leaving video chat open throughout the day just to stay in touch while they work.  Our CEO and COO have been holding company wide meetings a few times a week to keep everyone updated and answer questions.  And we're doing a lot of stuff to keep people motivated.  We're even doing a virtual happy hour tonight and are planning to do some online games in the future.

It's all about your reaction to it.  This doesn't have to suck!

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 11:06:56 AM »
I agree, Ben, but if someone has never WFH it might be tough to adjust. In the beginning, I would schedule everything - including procrastination breaks! I got over it pretty quick and can do my work without losing focus on most days.

But speaking of added stress of this whole thing - my company is asking the sales team to step up and do whatever it takes to close deals. We are a small company and we cannot afford to pay people without taking money in for a very long time. About half of all our business is in hospitality - and we know that this will take a huge hit - so now grocery, the vertical I am in, needs to shoulder the load. I have a lot on my plate, but need to start looking for more business - doing this 100% remotely will be a new challenge.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 11:21:12 AM »
I have no problem working from home, it's working from home while taking care of two young kids that's tough.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2020, 11:25:27 AM »
I have no problem working from home, it's working from home while taking care of two young kids that's tough.

how old are yours now?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2020, 11:52:32 AM »
I think I'm also listening to news way too much - something about the virus is always on...

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2020, 12:09:31 PM »
I think I'm also listening to news way too much - something about the virus is always on...

Yeah, I think there is a balance here about staying up to date and being inundated.  Things are changing fairly rapidly but it seems like the day to day is reaching a new normal pretty quickly.  I am checking about 3 times a day just to keep up-to-date without it letting it take over.

I haven't had much issue getting into work from home.  I used to do it a lot and it's sort of about your company culture.  We've made it a point to be on video chat as much as possible.  A lot of the teams are just leaving video chat open throughout the day just to stay in touch while they work.  Our CEO and COO have been holding company wide meetings a few times a week to keep everyone updated and answer questions.  And we're doing a lot of stuff to keep people motivated.  We're even doing a virtual happy hour tonight and are planning to do some online games in the future.

It's all about your reaction to it.  This doesn't have to suck!
I used to work 3 days a week at home.  But at the time I was single, in a smaller house, and not the lead.  Recently I had been working one day a week at home.  Now, it is everyday, while working with management on dealing with the shifts and adjustments, and worrying about so much more.

I'm not having a negative reaction to it, it is just different and it is taking me longer to adjust than I expected.

All that said, I'm really glad I don't have an young children in this mix as well.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2020, 01:10:11 PM »
Well now I'm crying. A friend's grandfather passed away from it. He wrote a beautiful tribute. The hardest part is having to be isolated away from them in their last days.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2020, 02:41:35 PM »
Well now I'm crying. A friend's grandfather passed away from it. He wrote a beautiful tribute. The hardest part is having to be isolated away from them in their last days.

so sorry :(

its only a matter of time before this starts to hit home for so many of us.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2020, 04:20:11 PM »
more things to add to the stress level - many of our friends are asking if they can come stay with us at the cabin. We anticipated this somewhat, and invited my best friend and his family and one other friend with his family. Now others are asking for help. It feels shitty telling people we cannot take on more people, but that is what we must do...

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2020, 05:02:41 PM »
Healthcare Triage did a view where they talked about that.  Apparently, you should try and social distance even within the house.  But he also recognized the difficulty of that depend on ages of kids and family size.  He did say that if you need to expand the circle you basically all need to agree to only socialize with that group.  You then effectively become a socially distant group.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2020, 06:04:22 PM »

how old are yours now?

My daughter just turned 7 and my son is almost 4. They're great kids but very high energy and need to have an activity to keep them occupied or they go nuts.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2020, 12:35:29 AM »
OMG - now the conspiracy theories are in my head: 5G, mind control vaccine, sterilization vaccine. WTF

Tomorrow I am spending half the day splitting wood to get the poison out.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2020, 10:06:44 AM »
The conspiracy is really big lumber

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2020, 04:50:17 PM »

Out of everything this is really the only thing I'm worried about. One story like this is too many but I expect it will be commonplace and even if some of us don't have a friend or family member who is affected we'll know people who do.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2020, 11:27:47 AM »
Checking in - how is everyone doing? how was the weekend?

I think that personally I have come down a bit; I was seeing doom and gloom and an incoming apocalypse. We're definitely not out of the woods, but whatever happens, we will get through it - I'm hoping we'll be back to somewhat of a regular routine by end of April. And I will cherish the time we have right now and catch up on certain things that were challenging to do "before".

I think this slow down of pace will be pretty good for us.

Later today the kids and I are tapping our single sugar maple :)

I probably got more exercise this past week then I had all of last month in the city. and so has my dog.