Author Topic: Physics Questions  (Read 1792 times)

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
Physics Questions
« on: October 21, 2006, 05:39:43 PM »
I have two physics related questions for you guys.

1). On our last test, I was stumped on one question. The scenario is a car rolling down an incline at an initial velocity of 20 m/s. At t=0.0s the driver locks the brakes, and comes to a rest 30m down the slope.

For the last question related to this, I had to find the force of friction on the car tires, which sounded easy at first. After some thought, I figured I needed to solve for both the acceleration of the car and the time that it took for it to come to rest. So I figured:

s(t) = (1/2)at^2 + 20t 
v(t) = at + 20

v(tf) = 0  =  at + 20
s(tf) = 30 = (1/2)at^2 + 20t

Ok, I don't know how to solve that (if it's even possible), so I must be going about the problem wrong. Any thoughts?

2). This is an extra credit question, so if you don't want to help me earn extra credit, then don't answer :D We're using the equation for kinetic friction f = un, where u is the coefficient of friction and n is the normal force.

Scenario: A mug sits at rest on a paper towel which extends 50cm past the mug. A force is applied to the paper towel so that it accelerates at 200 m/s/s until none of the towel is under the mug. How far does the mug move? (For simplicity, assume the paper towel contacts the mug at a point)

Also given: Mass of mug .5kg, coefficient of friction between mug and towel = .7, coef. of friction between towel and table = .5 (do we even need this?), and coef. of friction between mug and table = .4

I haven't given a whole lot of thought to the second problem yet, but it doesn't seem that complicated to me. It must be complicated, though, since my professor said he hadn't ever had a student completely solve the problem.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 05:42:40 PM by JaWiB »

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Physics Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 06:06:24 PM »
For number 1 are you having to take into account the friction from the road and tire?  If so did they give the coeffiecient of static friction?  Also did the driver lock the tires?  If so what is the coefficient of kenetic friction?

JaWiB

• Jackass V
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 06:34:26 PM »
Sorry, I meant that the driver locks the tires, so I assume the only friction to consider is between the tires and the road. And no, no coefficients of friction were given that I can recall.

JaWiB

• Jackass V
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 01:27:45 AM »
For 1) Solve for tf in the v(tf) equation (in terms of a) then substitute into the s(tf) equation and solve for a. You'll need to know the slope of the incline to figure out the force of gravity parallel to the incline, then the net force is ma = F_grav - F_friction (you'll obviously need the mass of the car as well). Alternatively, use work-energy to solve.

2) Shouldn't be that difficult. Seems like you should just draw free body diagrams for the towel and the mug and then find the acceleration of the mug while the towel is under it, find the time that the towel is under the mug in order to find the velocity when the mug is no long on the towel, and then find the acceleration when the mug is on the table to find the final distance that it travels.

JaWiB

• Jackass V
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 01:28:05 AM »
How was I so dumb back then?