Author Topic: What's your speed?  (Read 14583 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: What's your speed?
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2020, 09:40:34 AM »
did this while being in a teams meeting - still impressive imo

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2020, 09:43:25 AM »
now I did the test on google.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2020, 10:45:27 AM »
interestingly (or obviously) using my work VPN cuts my speed from 200 to ~60.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2020, 10:57:01 AM »
I recently switched from Spectrum to Wow.  This is my test while I'm on a Teams meeting.  Normally it's around 215/11.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2020, 12:03:48 PM »
Woah, weird that I was just running speed tests before coming here.

I'm getting around 250 down and 10 up. I pay for 1Gb down and I think 30 up (well, I pay about 30% of the list price because I keep trying to cancel my service every time my current promotion ends.)

I'm using the built-in wireless router that's in the modem. I have an external router coming today that I will test out. We have a lot of devices (including 3 nest cams streaming HD) so I hope a router with more antennae's will actually help... we'll see.

I actually don't have any problems with our connection, but my wife says her streaming platform (some special tele-health thing) has quality issues and it's only her that seems to have the problem. Other people on her calls say the quality is fine.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2020, 12:34:48 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if here tele-health app goes through a centralized server, if not VPN, then just https but either way, especially with such heavy traffic nowadays, that's probably the bottleneck
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2020, 01:15:22 PM »
@perspective - that sounds like maybe you're using an older modem that doesn't support the higher speeds.... or your router can't handle the throughput.  I moved to a Docsis 3.1 modem a few months ago and got an Orbi mesh network and now my kids in the basement that are wired into the satellite get pretty much the same speeds as me being wired directly into the router.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2020, 07:09:16 PM »
I'm paying for 200 up/down but we're not using a Verizon router which I think helps.  :thumbsup:

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2020, 07:11:56 PM »
Fiber is literally in my backyard (they're running the cables finally) so soon I'll be 1 Gbps up/down. Right now I'm at 190/6.
This signature intentionally left blank.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2020, 07:37:52 PM »
generally, my "slow" 25Mbs down doesn't bother me...but what absolutely SUCKS is only have 1 to < 2 upload speed. uploading large files for work or trying to video conference while my kids game..its really rough.   Now that my house is clean enough to let an installation person come, I'm planning to switch to something like what (most of) you all have... at least 100/5 if not 200/5+.  Just waiting to make sure my ex moves out and know that I'm definitely staying in this house for another year.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2020, 07:54:37 PM »
I'm paying for 200 up/down but we're not using a Verizon router which I think helps.  :thumbsup:

Jen for the win

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2020, 07:51:27 AM »
@perspective - that sounds like maybe you're using an older modem that doesn't support the higher speeds.... or your router can't handle the throughput.  I moved to a Docsis 3.1 modem a few months ago and got an Orbi mesh network and now my kids in the basement that are wired into the satellite get pretty much the same speeds as me being wired directly into the router.

Yeah, the modem is fairly new and it's the only Gigabit modem my ISP has. But I'm pretty sure the built-in router is garbage, especially with many connected devices. I'll see how things change once I find some time to set up my new router.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2020, 09:58:26 AM »
So I've been losing my mind because the Reddit app has been loading images and video slowly... but as soon as I switch off wifi it's fast.  That's the only app that has issues and I just read all over the net that the reddit app has had issues with this over the years.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2020, 01:13:44 PM »
I got about 75-80 down and ~5.5 up when I tested yesterday and again today from my windows laptop.

When I test from my iPhone I get between 20-30 Mpbs.

I'm paying for "Download as fast as 175 Mbps".

:(

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2020, 03:00:39 PM »
I would complain.  It's possibly an easy fix.