Author Topic: Hey tgm (and others)  (Read 4153 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Hey tgm (and others)
« on: April 09, 2009, 06:06:59 PM »
I wrote a song on a whim last night, the words i mean. I can HEAR the guitar (acoustic) to the whole thing in my head, but i have no clue how to play it because i dont know how to identify the chords. I wrote down the words and kinda used a legend i made up to help me remember pauses, timing, etc.

my problem is how can i write this in a way that other people could "hear" where im going with it too? I want to get it on paper somehow before i loose it, but i dont know enough about guitar.

it's driving me insane the lick has been in my head all day.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
Re: Hey tgm (and others)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 08:20:38 PM »
Can you record yourself humming the tune?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 10:03:05 PM »
i did actually. I found an old recording i did playing around on the guitar and it is damn close to the music i wrote as far as fitting with it. The problem is i cant concentrate with my stupid ass singing retarded shit over it.

I'm trying to strip the vocals from it using audacity, but my stupid ass recorded it mono so i dont think i can
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 10:37:02 PM »
actually i have an idea. i used a program to grab the chords from my recording. is there a program that can emulate a guitar if i enter the chrods? then i can just toy with speed and such till i get close.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 04:33:55 AM »

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 04:34:35 AM »

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 07:08:25 AM »
maybe try tuxguitar.

I usually just hum (or sing badly) into my iPhone or my H4. Sometimes I'll write it down on paper and simply add the note ticks above (single note, quarter note, etc.) to remind me of the melody.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 09:37:41 AM »
Tuxguitar looks perfect, now i just gotta figure it out. I found the spot to add chords, just cant figure out how to add my specific ones. Thanks guys

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 12:53:31 PM »
This is working. I got the sounds close on standard tuning with nylon strings. now i just have to figure out custom speeds, how long the sound plays before the next measure, and how to set the strums.

this is one cool program. I like it better then Guitar Pro. And kudos to the little program i found called Chord Pickout. It ran under wine and was able to grab the chords from the mp3 pretty well. I didnt even know i was making chords when i recorded this, i just liked the sound.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 01:56:21 PM »
i took the part of the mp3 where i wasnt saying anything and sped it up a tad. i think it sounds good. gonna take me forever to play it again, dammit i want an acoustic

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 05:51:35 PM »
Any chance you can tell me which chords i was using when i played that section based on this tab? Attached is a zip of the tuxguitar file where i input the chords the other program said i was using. One if what the program says is the chords for the entire song, the other is just the solo i posted above. They dont match and neither sound right.

How do i insert like the strums and stuff to make the tux program sound like the song?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 06:38:01 PM »
since im not allowed to edit, i updated the zip file and have to post it in a second post.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 07:20:03 PM »
Too much for me. I'm hearing all sorts of chords. Em, B5, C#5, G-ish and like it should resolve to G#5-ish. Were you capo'd (like first fret) at the time? Or just bar chording things?
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 07:21:38 PM »
Honestly as bad as it sounds, i have no fucking clue. I dont know bar chords really so thats out. Whats capo? I know i used nylon strings i had just put them on. And im assuming it was standard tune but i had been trying different ones around that time.

It's just messed up that i dont know the chords yet i was able to lay something decent

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 07:29:39 PM »
i just googled it, yes it was with a capo. My dad called it a slider i didnt know lol.