Author Topic: Lawn stuff...  (Read 10880 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Lawn stuff...
« on: September 15, 2007, 11:33:59 AM »
Keeping the grass in good shape takes a lot less effort than most folks think.

Tip  #1:  Mow at at least 3.5".  Mow high and mow often. 

Tip  #1A:  In draught conditions do not mow.  Let it get tall here and there, but don't mow it under such heavy stress.

Tip  #1B:  If possible water during a draught.  Get at least 1.25" to it in the evening or wee hours of the morning.  Laura and I have to do this by doing one patch at at time on a rotating basis.  If you don't water long and deep, don't water at all.  To figure out how long your sprinkler takes to do this use a measuring cup placed in the sprinkle pattern.

Tip  #2:  Feed it and weed it at half rate.  I do not like dry weed killer.  I prefer the spray that screws onto a garden hose.  Safe, simple, effective and clean.  To use at half rate just walk faster as you distribute the spray.  I recommend
 http://www.spectracide.com/ProductCategories/Herbicides/WeedStop2xConc/  if you can get it.  As far as food, most brands are of equal value.  Try to keep the Nitrogen content mid to low.  A good fall lawn food is Milorganite, but you have to use alot.  Use a rotary spreader.  Drop spreaders can be a very difficult to use.

Tip  #3:  When you feed it mix in a few handfuls of epsom salts.  Mix it in well.

Tip  #4:  Get the lawn core aerated yearly.

Tip  #5:  After aeration, put lime and iron down every two to three years.

Tip  #6:  Use the mulching blades rather than removing the grass from the lawn.  It provides very necessary organic matter. 

Tip  #7:  This is area and year specific, however your local greenhouse may be able to advise you for your area.  Grub control.  You can apply it or have it applied by the pros.  Grubs can wipe our a lawn in a few weeks.  If you see dead patches appear and you can pick up the remains like loose carpet, seek help immediately.  That day.

FYI  #1:  Over time weeds will simply be pushed out and the need for herbicides will decrease.

FYI  #2:  Earthworms and nightcrawlers are your lawns buddies.  Add a few thousand when the weather is mild to warm and the ground is moist.  Do this in the evening.

FYI  #3:  Keeping your grass high not only promotes much deeper root structure, and increases soil water retention, but it also inhibits weed germination.

See Tip #1.

If anyone needs more specific advice, lemme know and I will do whatever I can.

Good book on lawn care.  Gets into tonics way too much but a good overall reference.

http://books.google.com/books?id=keXwtOUaZ4oC&pg=PP1&dq=inauthor:Jerry+inauthor:F+inauthor:Baker&sig=EPPsKcxMeZEaac4OmSricIsgUe4

Another famous read.  If this had color photos this might be the perfect lawn reference.
http://www.amazon.com/Lawn-Bible-Groomed-Growing-Season/dp/0786888423/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-5789399-5088857?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189869493&sr=1-3

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Lawn stuff...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 12:00:02 PM »
I'm not very good at keeping up my lawn (or anything that grows). My neighbor is really anal about it. He cuts he grass really short like twice a week and waters all the time and fertilizes etc. I've found that simply mowing my grass higher does a good job at keeping it easier to manage. I do very little fertilizing, crab grass and a weed and feed in the spring and this year I'm going to do a turf builder and over seed too before winter (see if it makes any difference). During the summer I just spot kill weeds when they pop up. My grass stays green with minimal effort. It's not the prettiest but it looks alright. Oh and I mulch, never bag. Even the leaves I try and mulch as much as possible (mostly because I don't like raking it).

Good tips.

What does the epsom salt do?
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 12:16:06 PM »
Epsom salt allows for better sulfide production allowing for better end product. Sulfur is needed for protein synthesis.

Note do not use alot.  Mix in a couple handfulls per feeding, no more.  With lawns too much of anything can be detrimental.

Roses like epsom salts too.  Bout a tablespoon per plant 2x per year with the same of rose food.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 06:33:17 PM »
oh god

:threadsucks:

Beats moobs any damn day dooder.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 06:29:03 AM »
Just remind us again Knuck: How old are you?

:devil:

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 07:03:24 AM »

:thumbsup:

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 12:06:29 PM »
'K, I was gonna guess 50 :)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 06:15:42 PM »
'K, I was gonna guess 50 :)

Er.  Why?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 08:30:15 PM »
I'm pretty much like tgm when it comes to lawn care.  I generally like things to look nice, but I don't have the time or energy to do it perfectly right now.  Maybe a few *cough* 30 *cough* years down the road...

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 08:32:12 PM »
Me or Rob?

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 08:39:57 PM »
>>In draught conditions do not mow.  Let it get tall here and there, but don't mow it under such heavy stress.<<

Do you meant drought? :)

Our lawn is just weeds thanks to the drought.  I mow the weeds not the grass.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 09:43:33 PM »
How?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 10:32:44 PM »
Knuk ain't dissed.  Think I am older or younger I'm cool.  Sup ethic?

My spelling can really bloe sumtimes...

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 01:28:03 PM »
while i read that i saw an old guy in overalls with straw in his mouth. At any rate, fuck leaving it high. I jump on my commercial 0-turn, drop the deck to the bottom setting, and mow it. Sometimes twice a week. I water it every other day when it doesnt rain, and i leave the cut grass behind. Green as hell, healthy as hell, no weeds.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 06:27:54 PM »
1) Ants.  Everywhere.  What do I do?  My entire 1/2-acre yard is just covered in ant hills.  In the back there a few hundred square feet of just dirt where the grass wont grow that giant ant holes.  Everywhere else the grass is growing but there are brown patches and ant hills though out the entire yard!

I don't want to spend a ton of money but I want an an effective way to get rid of them.  Thoughts?

2) Weeds.  Dandelions are freaking everywhere. Basically my front yard is white and yellow. After my first mowing a couple weeks ago I spread some weed & feed but the weather forecase was wrong and I think it rained to hard to soon.  Within a week they were back even worse!  Would a second round of weed & feed help? or do you recommend a weed specific treatment?

Again, I don't want to spend a ton and I'm fine with not having a perfect lush lawn, but I'd like a healthy lawn that doesn't look worse than my neighbors :)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."