Author Topic: Domain Registration  (Read 3324 times)

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
Domain Registration
« on: November 19, 2006, 12:00:59 PM »
I know this has been discussed before but I have a question..

I got an email from Powweb, my hosting company, and they said my domain expires in 90 days.  When I signed up I got a year and a half of hosting (1/2 year was free) and a registered domain name.  I can register my domain with whomever I want, can someone suggest a few companies to look at? 

Now my other question. At what point can someone else go and register kranjcevic.com and take it away from me?  Since I currently have it, is there a period of time before it expires that I have the right to re-register my domain name?  Hope that was clear.

Thanks.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Domain Registration
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 12:24:27 PM »
www.active-domain.com

No one else can register the domain until it expires.  I'd suggest you re-register it shortly before it expires.  Problem is, if you want to register somewhere else, you're going to have to transfer it to that company (usually a small fee).

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 12:59:24 PM »
Hmmm I transfered one of my domains without a fee.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 02:38:40 PM »
i always suggest godaddy.com
their reasonably priced and handle the most domain names of all the major companies (bigger then networksolutions).

no fees for transfers - usually avg about $8 a year.
just make sure you pay attention when you order because they try to sucker you into buying all their supporting products that you don't really need.

if you go w/ them, do me a favor and use the little banner ad on my website: http://www.micahj.com -- i get like $0.50 or something (wahoo for me)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 06:00:16 PM »
ick... i fucking hate godaddy.

And I said "usually"... sometimes they charge a fee if they're bastards.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 08:10:25 PM »
My domains are with 1and1.com.
This signature intentionally left blank.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 08:13:04 AM »
tgm, do you host with 1and1 as well? How are they?  I've heard good things. I assume you have a shared hosting plan?  I know they also do dedicated hosting.

ober - whats the beef w/ godaddy?  Other then their stupid superbowl ads and the fact that they try and get you to buy 12,000 other things when you just want to renew one domain name?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 09:48:28 AM »
I only use 1and1 for my DNS. I host my sites at home. I have a dedicated web server there. I like to store music files and other big stuff (pictures for my brother) so I needed a lot of space. Since it's just personal sites I'm not worried if I need to shut my server down for a little while or anything. It's not a high traffic site, more for family and friends.
I have thought about doing the shared hosting though for my dad's website, but I code in JSP and I don't feel like relearning PHP and porting everything over (and their dedicated hosting is too spendy for me, cheaper to host it at home).
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 10:26:16 AM »
godaddy's interface blows IMO.  And it's geared to the n00bs of the website world.  They dumb everything down and to someone that is used to the more technical side of things, I cringe when I get a client that has went with godaddy.