Author Topic: Such a turkey!  (Read 11717 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Such a turkey!
« on: April 24, 2007, 01:55:30 PM »
Crisp-Skin High-Roast Butterflied Turkey with Sausage Dressing
11/2001
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/

If you prefer not to brine your turkey, we recommend a kosher bird. The dressing can be made with cornbread, challah, or Italian bread, but note that they are not used in equal amounts. If you don’t own a broiler pan top or if yours does not span the roasting pan, try a sturdy wire rack that rests comfortably on top of a 12 by 16-inch disposable roasting pan. Cover the rack with a large sheet of heavy-duty foil, fold excess foil under, spray it with nonstick cooking spray, and, with a paring knife, cut slits in the foil for fat drainage.

Serves 10 to 12
Turkey
2   cups kosher salt or 1 cup table salt
1   cup granulated sugar 
1   turkey (12 to 14 pounds gross weight), rinsed thoroughly; giblets, neck, and tailpiece removed and reserved for gravy, and turkey butterflied per illustrations below
1   tablespoon unsalted butter , melted

Sausage Dressing
12   cups cornbread broken into 1-inch pieces (include crumbs), or 18 cups 1-inch challah or Italian bread cubes (from about 1 1/2 loaves)
1 3/4   cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
1   cup half-and-half 
2   large eggs , beaten lightly
12   ounces bulk pork sausage , broken into 1-inch pieces
3   medium onions , chopped fine (about 3 cups)
3   ribs celery , chopped fine (about 1 1/2 cups)
2   tablespoons unsalted butter 
2   tablespoons minced fresh thyme leaves   
2   tablespoons minced fresh sage leaves 
3   medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press
1 1/2   teaspoons table salt 
2   teaspoons ground black pepper 

1. To Brine the Turkey: Dissolve salt and sugar in 2 gallons cold water in large stockpot or clean bucket. Add turkey and refrigerate or set in very cool spot (not more than 40 degrees) for 8 hours.

2. For the Dressing: While turkey brines, adjust one oven rack to upper-middle position and second rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 250 degrees. Spread bread in even layers on 2 rimmed baking sheets and dry in oven 40 to 50 minutes for challah or Italian bread or 50 to 60 minutes for cornbread.

3. Place bread in large bowl. Whisk together stock, half-and-half, and eggs in medium bowl; pour over bread and toss gently to coat so bread does not break into smaller pieces. Set aside.

4. Heat heavy-bottomed, 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until hot, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage loses its raw color, 5 to 7 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer sausage to medium bowl. Add about half of onions and celery to fat in skillet; sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer onion mixture to bowl with sausage. Return skillet to heat and add 2 tablespoons butter; when foam subsides, add remaining celery and onions and sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in thyme, sage, and garlic; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds; add salt and pepper. Add this mixture along with sausage and onion mixture to bread and stir gently to combine, trying not to break bread into smaller pieces.

5. Spray disposable aluminum 12 by 16-inch roasting pan with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer dressing to roasting pan and spread in even layer. Cover pan with foil and refrigerate until needed.

6. To Prepare Turkey for Roasting: Set slotted broiler pan top on top of roasting pan with foil-covered dressing and spray with nonstick cooking spray; set roasting pan on baking sheet to support bottom. Remove turkey from brine and rinse well under cool running water. Butterfly and position turkey on broiler pan top; thoroughly pat surface of turkey dry with paper towels. Refrigerate turkey and dressing, uncovered, 8 to 24 hours.

7. To Roast Turkey with Dressing: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Remove broiler pan top with turkey and foil cover over roasting pan; replace broiler pan top with turkey. Brush turkey with melted butter. Place entire assembly with turkey in oven and roast until turkey skin is crisp and deep brown and instant-read thermometer reads 165 degrees when inserted in thickest part of breast and 175 degrees in thickest part of thigh, 80 to 100 minutes, rotating pan from front to back after 40 minutes.

8. Transfer broiler pan top with turkey to cutting board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest 20 minutes. Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to upper-middle position, place roasting pan with dressing back in oven, and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Cool dressing 5 minutes, then spoon into bowl or onto turkey serving platter. Carve turkey (see below) and serve.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Such a turkey!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 02:14:58 PM »
yea but it sounds bitching.

bookmarked
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 03:01:37 PM »
Hmm... sounds tasty.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 03:08:58 PM »
Note to Knuckle: November is 7 months away!

Note to site admin(s): The font tags in the advanced editor still do nothing!

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 03:09:25 PM »
yea but it sounds bitching.

bookmarked
You can't afford turkey.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 03:48:08 PM »
But he can talk turkey!

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 10:08:38 PM »
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 07:23:31 AM »
How bout forming a turkey out of Spam Rod?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 12:25:24 PM »
.... would anyone be interested in a board where we just post recipies.  Cheez would be banned of course, because he'd just post "Beergurt" recipies. 

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 12:28:35 PM »
that was some really nasty stuff.....

I would think that was pretty cool. I dont have alot of them and im always looking for more. Especially during this time of year, i just cleaned my grill all up today :)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 02:18:29 PM »
Great idea and as Obe knows I could post some real winners.

I think it is important to try to keep recipes, their prep, and their ingredient lists as simple and easily achieved as possible.  Not everyone has local access to fresh and exotic spices, herbs, etc.  Admittedly Ober can forage for damn near any plant life and or vole... 

Also a recipe has to be good.  A lot of dishes I have seen over the years are made simply because "that is how we/mom always made it".  Well, modern cooking has vastly improved many "classics" (not all though).  My recipe collection is a mix of modern recipes, classics made better (and often faster/simpler), or just plain neat new (to me...) stuff.  All of them have been well tested!

Turn on a Food and Recipes button Benny!

Woo hoo!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 05:59:52 PM »
pppphhhhttttt
 :t1: :t1: :t1:

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 09:35:37 PM »
this is all very homosexual.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 09:52:13 PM »
your all just jealous we can cook for teh wimmenz. Nothing says first date like a home cooked meal and wine at your place.

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 11:40:21 PM »
I could cook you out of yo mamma's kitchen!