Author Topic: A bit out of practice, but had some fun tonight  (Read 5571 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
A bit out of practice, but had some fun tonight
« on: October 19, 2017, 01:49:18 AM »
I'm procrastinating my programming work tonight so I decided to do a little slow jam on my synth and work on my audio editing.  This is a simple 4-chord loop for 64 bars with an improvised lead (one take, mistakes and all.)  Nothing to write home about, but figured I'd share.

https://soundcloud.com/micah-murray/practicing-mixdown-and-mastering
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: A bit out of practice, but had some fun tonight
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 08:27:05 AM »
Not my jam, but it sounded good to me.  I'm finding a lot of programming people, particularly at the place I work now are into playing music.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 11:39:49 PM »
Ok I did another one today, got some new software and went back writing EDM.  This is a cover of a song from the My Little Pony movie that my kids play all the time so it was in my head when I couldn't think of what to write.  The only problem is that, as much fun as it is writing the instrumentals, it kinda boring without the vocal track so I recorded myself singing it.  I'm not a good singer, I debated sharing the version with me singing 'cause its a little embarrassing but whatever, try not to focus on that please.

https://soundcloud.com/micah-murray/rainbow-originally-by-sia-edm-cover-1

The good parts are a bit base heavy, so you kinda need to listen with headphones or with the volume up (hopefully with no one else in the room)

Edit: here's the original, if you're not familiar with the song or would like to hear a real artist preform it :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 11:48:02 PM by micah »
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 01:41:10 AM »
dude, that's very cool. And you're singing. You should do something with your kids for Christmas.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 09:11:31 AM »
Thanks, yeah I'd love to do something with my kids.  I actually tried to get Colbie to sing the vocals for that track because then at least it'd be cute but she had zero interest.  She literally said, "I'm not interested in doing that."  But it would be cool to collaborate with them.  My wife says I should stick to instrumental music

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 03:26:47 PM »
I agree with your wife...haha...but kudos for the bravery of putting it out there
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 09:55:44 PM »
I don't know if I posted this or not but I'm sort of getting into synth stuff and recently found out about vcvrack. You can do some pretty cool stuff with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz547S6LR98

Might be worth looking into if you're into that kind of stuff.
This signature intentionally left blank.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 10:14:27 PM »
wow that looks crazy but kinda cool.  I think I'm more into the sequencing and mastering aspects over the sound generation... I like linear layouts. 

Here a youtube video of the song I posted last night WITHOUT the vocals but showing the software https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-NWD0NABs

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 07:06:13 PM »
Ok, I did another one this weekend.  I think its a little better. I kept it short, under 3 minutes. https://soundcloud.com/micah-murray/toms-diner-micah-murray-remix