Technical & Scientific > Programming

Need Suggestions for this Project

(1/3) > >>

l33t-5h1t:
I'm working on my final project in my VB class (yeah I know this is c++ but I'm gonna have to pull a RoD here). Basically I'm creating a replacement for the messenger service on xp. I already have plans for it to supply a gui as well as command line interface, lobby or direct chat, and a "game mode" where it outputs on an opengl platform so you can converse while in game (so you don't have to switch between windows just to chat). It will be for a LAN only environment. Basically, I'd like you guys to give me some feedback and suggestions so I can make this thing as feature rich as possible as I plan to use the program extensively when I'm done. Thanks.

joshdick:
Chat logging, file sharing.

l33t-5h1t:
cool, thanks, keep em coming

::edit::
actually, file sharing is kind of beating a dead horse, it's going to be LAN only so we already have windows file sharing for that. But chat logging would be good.

joshdick:
away messages
profiles
warning system
buddy icons
personalized font styles and colors

l33t-5h1t:
well see the thing is I don't want it too bloated, and those are (no offense) the kind of bloaty crap that aol likes to use...and they really wouldn't serve a purpose because this is just going to be for use in a local network, it's not meant for just chatting...I suppose I should have been more clear with its purpose. Basically, it's going to be for me and my buddy who do a lot of work on our networks (we just linked our lans up with wireless links) and also for everyone elses use during gaming because most games (like cs, ut, etc) only allow talking to teammates or like in cs if you die you can't continue to communicate with those who are alive. We use voice communication via ventrilo, but when we have teams split up sometimes you want to talk strategy and that's not a good idea when you're all in the same venrilo server....anyway, basically I'm not looking for frills, I'm looking for features that might help us out in regards to sed purposes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version