Entertainment & Artistry > Photography/Video/Movies & TV

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

(1/3) > >>

-KEN-:
I loved the books. Really loved them.

I disliked the movie. Really disliked it.

The jokes seemed to be delivered all too quickly and all wrong. The story seemed to be all over the place. The guide entries seemed too goofy: they looked like they were all done in Flash. I hated the new direction that they took the story in (ew, love story), and I couldn't stand how goofy the Vogon guards looked. Zaphod seemed to sound way too much like George Bush. The pacing seemed way off, making the movie feel about 10 hours long.

I don't know. Maybe it was because I'd been up for over 24 hours at that point; maybe it was because I had just gotten done reading a round of bad reviews; maybe it was because I was with two people who actually fell alseep, but I just couldn't like the movie. As much as I wanted to, I just couldn't like it.

Funny enough, though, the few scenes that I really enjoyed were mostly the ones that weren't in the book, which leads me to believe that maybe the lines from the book just didn't meet my expectations, and that maybe the movie was a lot better than I percieved.

Anyway, it's still better than most of what's out there right now. It's worth seeing if only for the opening montage, which really made me think that the movie might just be OK.

Also, even if they leave the whole backstory of Mr. Prosser out of the book, see if you can't spot where they had a bit of fun with it anyway. A lot of the movie has a few in-jokes thrown in for the fans of the book/radio/TV series, which must leave those not in the know out in the cold. For example, there's a scene where Ford walks into a bar, and everyone yells "Ixy!!"

edit:

It also seemed a bit like they mangled jokes from the book for no apparent reason. Sort of like they took the teeth out of almost all of the jokes. Like, when Arthur is sitting in front of the bulldozer, in response to Prosser's question about seeing the plans, all he says is "Yes, and I had to go into the basement to find them!" -- That part was always one of my favorites, and the movie just killed it.

All in all, 3/5

[stealth]:
I saw it today.  Wasn't really expecting much from it, but it did get a bit heavy for my liking.  Fair call that, 3/5.

>>Anyway, it's still better than most of what's out there right now. It's worth seeing if only for the opening montage, which really made me think that the movie might just be OK.

jkim:
My friends saw it opening night, never having read the book.  They were quite confused, but apparently, they like the dolphin song.  I think they said that they weren't sure if it was supposed to be funny or not since no one else was laughing, but because they were so confused they just laughed through the entire thing. :dunno:

jverkoey:

--- Quote from: cboard ---Well, since ES is down, looks like I'll have to post this review here. I just went and saw the movie today (opening day w00t) and I have to say I was partly disappointed by the movie. I couldn't help but feel that a lot of the acting was forced and that many of the scenes were kind of thrown in there just for the sake of following the book to some extent.

A big annoyance I had was how they changed/added the whole love-line to the movie, even though they only lasted a few 30 seconds at a time, they were annoying.

I'm too tired to write a full review of everything, overall I'd give the movie a 6/10 though. Decent, but not as good as I was expecting it to be.
--- End quote ---

Major_Small:

--- Quote from: -KEN- ---It also seemed a bit like they mangled jokes from the book for no apparent reason. Sort of like they took the teeth out of almost all of the jokes. Like, when Arthur is sitting in front of the bulldozer, in response to Prosser's question about seeing the plans, all he says is "Yes, and I had to go into the basement to find them!" -- That part was always one of my favorites, and the movie just killed it.
--- End quote ---
yeah, and the fact that ford distracted the workers by giving them beer sucked too...

IMO, the movie was better than I was expecting, but then again I wasn't expecting much from the movie... I think the best part of the movie was marvin, which of course, I expected to be the worst part of the movie... they also didn't touch on the whole towel thing, either... they just made ford look like some insane person with a healthy towel obsession...  if you don't hold the movie to any standards and don't judge it against the book, it turns out to be a decent movie... I'd give it a 7/10

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version