Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 1639 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Star Trek
« on: May 11, 2009, 04:14:27 PM »
Saw it last night. I had never watched a full episode of any Star Trek TV series, nor have I ever watched more than five minutes of any of the movies.

Still, this got great reviews and it was easily the only thing worth watching when the wife and I were out last evening, so we decided to give it a go.

I actually liked it a lot. I do know enough about the original characters to recognize some of the jokes and references (but certainly not all of them). It wasn't perfect, but it was still enjoyable, amusing, and interesting.

I'm still trying to figure out how it relates to the original Star Trek (prequel or alternate reality), but I don't think it matters much to whether you like the film as neither interpretation would be considered to be too forced or contrived.

8/10

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 04:24:46 PM »
I saw it, it was kind of a fun popcorn movie and it was definately fun seeing the younger and more up to date versions of the crew.  The only thing that disappointed me was the lackluster storytelling, there were a lot of inconsistencies, plot holes, and contrivances in my opinion.  I know that type of thing doesn't bother a lot of people when they want to just sit back and enjoy a movie but its always been a pet peeve of mine.

They have said that this is definately an alternate reality and the story can pretty much go wherever it wants without having to worry about being consistent with the other movies or the TV show.

7/10

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 04:28:29 PM »
[Spoiler Alert]

This forum needs spoiler tags!

Anyway, I'm wondering, did the Vulcan planet get destroyed in the original reality? I thought maybe it had, but the way the story unfolded it seemed as though that might have been a key difference in this alternate reality.

[/Spoiler Alert]
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 06:15:28 PM by charlie »

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 05:13:06 PM »
No, in fact the planet plays a huge role in the other Star Trek movies, as does SPOILER Spock's mom.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 06:13:30 PM »
Ahh... cool. Thanks!

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 06:15:05 AM »
I rarely enjoy Star Trek movies.  However, both the wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this.  It was a blast.  8.5/10.  Will be renting it.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 10:28:38 AM »
 I really liked it.  And Randy Pausch was in it for 1/2 a second too!

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 09:34:39 PM »
Finally saw this  tonight.  I really enjoyed it - as a lot of people have mentioned to me, it's a pretty ok Star Trek movie, and a very good scifi action movie.  Some of the action scenes did seem forced, though, like Scotty in the tubes and the monsters on the ice planet.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 09:43:49 PM »
I'm a big trek fan (I liked TNG a litte TOO much when I was in highshool) but I *STILL* haven't seen this movie yet  :(

I almost bought the DVD the other day but i didn't really want to spend the money, especially since I'm guess someone will buy it for me for Christmas (since all my relatives still remember me as a teenage trekie) -- and there's a slim chance I might always get a bluray player (since their cheaper then last year when I asked for one) and I'd just have to buy it again.  Also, I'm hoping it comes out on HBO soon.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 09:53:38 PM »
I'm sure you'll like it quite a bit micah.  It does a good job of explaining how the TOS crew gets together and the Kobayashi Maru and Captain Pike and all that.  I really should have seen this in the theater, though.   You could tell that it would have been best experienced on a huge screen

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 07:17:52 AM »
Watched it a couple of nights ago on DVD.  It was even better the second time.  My movie of the year.