Author Topic: New camera  (Read 2138 times)

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
New camera
« on: December 31, 2015, 09:55:28 AM »
So I've been doing a lot of printing recently, and I've started getting interested in doing larger prints of my photos....which means....new camera time!

I think I'm going to get this guy:
http://m.dpreview.com/products/olympus/slrs/oly_em5ii
Olympus OM-D E-M5 II

Anyone have any experience with this or other similar mirror less cameras?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: New camera
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 11:14:27 AM »
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Great and informative site. 

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 01:49:02 PM »
Yup.  Steve's, DPReview, and Wirecutter all give this camera very high marks.  That's how I found it. :)
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 01:50:29 PM »
I love my Sony a6000.
This signature intentionally left blank.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 01:55:12 PM »
Meh on the 4/3 sensor. Crop factor can make it tougher to get the pictures you want without the corresponding lenses. The Sony's aps-c is small enough. I'd love to get a full frame Sony (A7ii) but for the price/performance ratio I think Sony is pretty good. Especially with the price drop recently. The kit lens is OK but if I had to do it over I don't think I'd bother getting it and just go with other lenses instead. The only downside of Sony is the lens selection isn't as great and they're a bit more expensive than the others.
This signature intentionally left blank.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 02:03:24 PM »
Yea - I was looking at the Sony too - especially when I was thinking more point and shoot.  This paragraph from Wirecutter is what killed it for me.  I think I like the option for a smaller frame with the Olympus...that said, I'll go reread the steve's and dp reviews of the a6000.  In general, I think I'm looking a class up from the  a6000 though.  Thanks.

We brought in the Sony a6000 for some shooting and testing alongside our main picks. To say the a6000 is a well-regarded camera is putting it mildly. Released in 2014, it earned a coveted gold star from DPReview and was an Editor’s Choice pick for both CNET and PC Mag. It’s a fine camera, but after a few days of side-by-side shooting, we feel it’s been eclipsed by more recent rivals. The a6000’s APS-C sensor makes it a bulkier camera/lens package than the E-M10 models, and it offers only fair-to-middling high ISO performance: The a6000 doesn’t give you noticeably better-looking images when light levels drop. It falls well short of the Fujifilm X-T10, which delivers impressively clean and detailed nighttime and indoor images.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 02:08:48 PM »
Steve's didn't review the a6000.  Strange.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 11:33:47 AM »
That olympus sounds and looks like a really nice camera, Kermi.

I also like the a6000 - I was not able to play around with it as much as I would want to yet, but on the auto settings it takes beautiful pictures. But what I am even more impressed with is the auto focus on the video feature - it is freaking amazing!
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 10:26:09 PM »
Olympus came today!  I got stuck with a kid  until late, so I haven't gotten to play with it much yet...sidenote: I got the keys and my first good look at the view from my new on-campus house...I'm beyond pumped.