Author Topic: NFL Playoff Predictions  (Read 56275 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: NFL Playoff Predictions
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2012, 12:35:14 PM »
I usually post in gameday threads as it's going, so I can't really do it that way

There's a guy at work who routinely DVRs games and then watches them after work the next day.  He's adamant that we don't tell him anything about it but he always has it spoiled for him by the end of the day

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2012, 12:44:36 PM »
If I DVR a game and don't watch at least part of it before it ends, I just delete it.  Watching it the next day is just insane.  But then again I don't post in live threads during games and no one is texting me so I suppose we live in different worlds.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2012, 12:50:09 PM »
That's my biggest thing is I won't watch it the next day, and I see no point in catching up when I can go right to the live feed and be caught up. Anything worth watching I missed will be on post game and talk shows. Plus after games there is often other programming I want to see, and it becomes a hassle to always be catching up and DVRing.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2012, 12:52:29 PM »
I'm with ober. I can understand watching live I you're interacting with others while the game is on (duh!), but otherwise I only watch games live from the start if I'm already watching tv when it comes on. Also, I'll watch some games a day later, depending on how important it is to me. I prefer to see things myself rather than read about them or watch highlights.

The kids thing is the biggest. I have so little time to watch my stuff that if I want to see something like the BCS title game I just record and fast forward through it in an hour. I can't justify three hours for a college football game between teams I don't care about when dishes need to be done, babies need to be washed and there are 15 to-dos on my list.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2012, 12:53:14 PM »
That game wasn't worth an hour

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2012, 01:00:17 PM »
When Keira is born I will probably understand better, but I doubt I will adapt it.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2012, 01:26:42 PM »
That's my biggest thing is I won't watch it the next day, and I see no point in catching up when I can go right to the live feed and be caught up. Anything worth watching I missed will be on post game and talk shows. Plus after games there is often other programming I want to see, and it becomes a hassle to always be catching up and DVRing.
For me, this doesn't make sense.  I watch the games to see individual performances.  To actually see how badly the high ankle sprain is affecting Ben or to see if the defense is able to make consistent stops.  Jumping in part of the way through and missing half of the action isn't the same and you can't really get a feel for a team by watching 15 seconds of highlights on sportscenter.

Also, your last statement makes me think you haven't truly adapted to DVR living.  Besides sports, I almost never watch anything the same day it is on.  I have 3 episodes from Modern Family from last fall on my Tivo right now.  I have this past week's Once Upon a Time episode sitting there waiting for me to watch.  Free yourself from the shackles of tv programming times.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »
When Keira is born I will probably understand better, but I doubt I will adapt it.
:roflcopter:  My life is entirely different after kids.  Entirely.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2012, 01:28:34 PM »
> Also, your last statement makes me think you haven't truly adapted to DVR living.

This is me.  90% of what I actually watch on TV is sports, and we've talked about why I do that live, so I really don't use my DVR for much of anything.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2012, 01:34:36 PM »
Here is the revelation I had when we got our first Tivo.  We used to spend a lot of time channel surfing when there wasn't anything on we wanted to watch for sure.  And I'm sure you can probably find sports of some kind on anytime.  But what about the times that all you can find is a shitty NBA game that you don't care about?  BOOM.  Watch something you DVR'd already.  My other big complaint about TV in general is that I was never watching it when shit I wanted to see was on.  Now I have my Tivo setup to record things that I actually want to watch that I would otherwise not be available for or wouldn't have time to watch.  Dirty Jobs, Modern Marvels, shit on the cooking channels, etc.  Now we always have something we WANT to watch and we can watch it whenever we want however we want.  Get interrupted?  Finish it later.  Want to make a snack? Pause it indefinitely.

And maybe part of the reason you guys don't use it as much is because you're using some shitty cable dvr or something.  I think the Tivo is WORLDS beyond the average DVR and really changes the way you look at TV in general.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2012, 01:44:26 PM »
I use the shit out of the DVR

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2012, 02:00:39 PM »
Ober speaks truth.

(Although the satellite companies' DVRs are comparable to TiVo so the shitty cable company DVR comment only applies to shitty cable companies.)

I don't watch a lot of TV either, but at least I don't sit there and channel surf unless that is specifically what I feel like doing (once or twice a year). I don't watch commercials any more either. Why would you want to do that? Honestly, I don't have a good understanding of why someone would not be a major DVR user unless (a) their DVR is shitty or (b) they just haven't really gotten into that mindset yet.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2012, 02:08:09 PM »
I haven't watched a live TV show in ages.  I love spending 40-45 minutes watching a show that normally takes an hour.  Never used a Tivo so can't compare but my DVR rocks.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2012, 02:25:29 PM »
i rather not watch a regular sporting event at all if I can't see it live. The only difference here would be the olympics, for example. I'm not very disciplined and I know I would find out the score before watching a DVRed game - and what is the fun in that?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2012, 03:04:56 PM »
i rather not watch a regular sporting event at all if I can't see it live. The only difference here would be the olympics, for example. I'm not very disciplined and I know I would find out the score before watching a DVRed game - and what is the fun in that?

How could you find out the score if it hasn't finished yet? We're mostly talking about recording it, then pressing play about an hour in.

Or in my case, pressing play when I have time, then pausing it again if I catch up too soon and going to do something else for a half hour, then coming back.