Author Topic: what should i do with these old parts?  (Read 2305 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
what should i do with these old parts?
« on: December 13, 2007, 07:44:06 PM »
I'm a bit of a pack-rat but I've finally decided to chuck my old Compaq computer that I got in 1999 but that hasn't worked for the last 3 years.

anyway, I took out the basic sound card (that came with it) as well as the after market Netgear network port and the fire-write card I had added. I also have the Sony 48x/24x/48x CD-RW drive that I barely used (my wife gave it to me for christmas about a year before that computer died).

(EDIT: I also found the original 56k modem card too that I had previously taken out to make room for the I-EEE)

So I don't know what to do with the parts.  One their own, I know they're worth basically nothing (maybe a few bucks each at best).

Should I save them for a rainy day?  Chuck them? or put them on eBay. If I go the auction route, should I piece-mail them out for a few bucks each or just put the whole lot up for sale and start the bidding at $ xxx ???
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 08:04:39 PM by micah »
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: what should i do with these old parts?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 08:00:08 PM »
Either sell them or aquire enough parts to build a simple PC, install linux + mythtv and use it as a PVR/media centre!  That's what I'm gonna with my old PC when I have the time.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: what should i do with these old parts?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 08:43:59 AM »
I've been fighting this battle as well and I've been chucking most of my old parts.  They're either not compatible with my current rig or any of my old ones or the technology is so far gone it's not worth it.