Author Topic: Where to buy Laptop Memory?  (Read 5482 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Where to buy Laptop Memory?
« on: October 02, 2008, 09:56:23 AM »
I realised why my wife's computer sucks so much.... I assumed it had to do with all the crap she installs off the net and that probably has a lot to do with it... but it dawned on me last night to check her RAM.

She only has 384MB of RAM.  The specs state that her model came with 512MB so I'm guessing that means that one of her two 256 chips is half dead.  So I want to beef up her memory.

Which leads me to 2 questions:

1) What type of memory does she need.  I've checked a couple sites where you type it your model and they tell you what type of memory to buy but I've gotten a few different answers.  One said to by DDR PC3200; another said PC2700 DDR.  The aformentioned specs at HP just say "333MHz DDR System Memory (2 DIMM)"  So, I hate to sound like an idiot - but I'm confused.

oh, I know that I could just open the back of her laptop and look at what she has but I didn't think of it last night and now I'm at work and I don't think I'll be able to check tonight (as I won't be home) and I'm thinking of ordering the parts today if I can.

2) Where should I buy the memory from?  I've come to realize that DDR memory is much more expensive then the DDR2 that I just bought for my desktop pc.  (I got 2GB of PC2-3200 for $56 at Sam's Club).   It would seem that memory can be found much cheaper online.  Not sure why but I'll go with it.  I'd prefer not to spend to much (and am probably only going to upgrade her to 1GB because I'm not made of money).  I was looking at newegg and tigerdirect.  What other sites are reputable?  What are the risks of buying memory online? I'm worried that if I order the wrong type or if it comes defective I'll be out a lot of cash.  Thoughts on where to buy?

Thanks!!!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Where to buy Laptop Memory?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 09:59:57 AM »
uh.... the store?

pfft

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 10:03:51 AM »
New egg.  This isn't that hard.  Get at least 2GB.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 10:11:23 AM »
New egg.  This isn't that hard.  Get at least 2GB.

Yeah, I registered at new egg last night... I think that's probably where I'll go then unless someone else chimes in.

I'm still not sure what type to buy.  Newegg's "memory configurator" doesn't list my exact model "HP Pavilion dv5123cl"

and their prices vary widely and wildly... you can get a GB of Kingston  for $67 (presuming I need PC2700) or "Patriot" brand for $35 and "Wintec" for $29.

Is the quality really all that different?  I don't want to spend a lot - but I don't want the chip to fail again?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 10:37:24 AM »
I buy most of my stuff from newegg these days. They're usually the cheapest around.

If you need to know what kind to get, go to crucial.com they have a nice little memory picker thing. I think they're pretty cheap too.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 10:37:52 AM »
Tigerdirect. Two reasons: its cheaper, and i HATE newegg for memory. I have never got a bad module from TD but i swear to god one out of every three from newegg has had issues.

Tigerdirect has great deals. i got 4GB of DDR6400 (2GB x 2) Consair memory for 29.99. And TD is almost always free shipping. They stock the OCZ memory and sell it cheap, and for a lower end brand its great.

I like both newegg and tiger but in my experience tiger is cheaper, faster, and more reliable.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 10:39:35 AM »
oh and the 5100 series uses DDR2700 (512MB 333MHz DDR) split between two chips.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 10:44:20 AM »
If you need to know what kind to get, go to crucial.com they have a nice little memory picker thing. I think they're pretty cheap too.

ah, ok so crucial.com lists my exact model in their memory picker app.  and it says: "Each memory slot can hold DDR PC3200,DDR PC2700 with a maximum of 1GB per slot"

so it can hold PC2700 OR PC3200 which explains my confusion.  according to wikipedia DDR-333 (which HP specs state I have) is the same as PC2700.

so even though it CAN take PC3200, apparently PC2700 is the way to go.  Does that sounds like a good line of thinking?  EDIT:  I THINK THAT'S WHAT RoD JUST SAID (thanks)

I'll compare prices between tigerdirect and newegg and see who has better deals.  Thoughts on brand names? is cheaper ok or does more money = more quality?

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
Ok, I've got 2 of these in my shopping cart:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161010

any objections?

EDIT: Last chance. I'm gonna buy them at 11:07 AM EDT if no one voices another opinion.

EDIT:  DONE!  BOUGHT! FINISHED!  I'll let you know in 3 - 7 business days if the new RAM fixes her crappy-ass laptop.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 11:10:51 AM by micah »

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 12:13:41 PM »
should be fine =]

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 12:20:14 PM »

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 10:14:16 AM »
So I'm still waiting for my memory to come. I only ordered it Thursday and it said 3 to 7 business days but I'm hoping to get it early next week.

Regardless, ever since the Internet taught us that things should happen instantly and, when they can't, we should be able to track them in real time, I've been fascinated by the routes packages take when you order them.

For example, my RAM was shipped on Thursday night from Rutherford, NJ. I could drive there in 2 and half hours. Two days later, its in Walpole, Mass which is less then a two hour drive away but in the complete opposite direction! It went right by me but now I have to wait until sometime next week for it to finds its way back.

see attached map (A = shipped from. B = current location.  C = me.)

I know you get what you pay for (in this case $3.99 is a pretty good deal) and I know they are experts at routing this stuff efficiently. It just seems so ridiculous on the surface though. Ya know?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 10:21:16 AM by micah »

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 10:35:01 AM »
i didnt go compare priced at TD, but anytime i order from them its almost always cheaper, and shipping is always free 2day. If i order it Wed night, i still get it friday.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 05:14:13 PM »
For example, my RAM was shipped on Thursday night from Rutherford, NJ. I could drive there in 2 and half hours. Two days later, its in Walpole, Mass which is less then a two hour drive away but in the complete opposite direction! It went right by me but now I have to wait until sometime next week for it to finds its way back.

It didn't come today. what the heck. Its been in Hartford (literally a 10 minute drive from my apartment) since Saturday at 2:38 PM.    I thought it would have come today.  darn.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 05:20:10 PM »
sure it wasnt a missed delivery?