Author Topic: just for knuck.....  (Read 4440 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
just for knuck.....
« on: January 30, 2009, 11:05:56 AM »
Everyone knows i hate intel. i respect them as a solid choice, but i dont like them at all. Now that said, the core 2 duo 1.8ghz is pretty impressive. I benched 21,000 in 3dmark, and i attribute most of that to the 512 video and 4gb ram, the chip being the bottleneck. but still at 1.83ghz, its impressive.

still not as fast as an amd at this speed, but hey :P One position i will not change is heat. intel runs too fucking hot, this thing tries to set my lap on fire. i have to turn on my fan after a few hours cuz it heats up the office hahaha. I'm going to crack it open and put some AS5 on it, maybe upgrade the fan.

Hey knuck, the core 2 duo's are 64bit right? i assume so in this day and age, but i dont follow intel and im too lazy to get the model and google it.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: just for knuck.....
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:29:10 AM »
Hot??  My recent intel chip runs nice and cool.  Maybe it's something else in the laptop.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 11:38:39 AM »
nah its the chip. the heat pipe design leaves alot to be desired, but the majority of the heat is coming from around the chip, and the second spurce being the fan. All laptops with any decent hardware run hot, but this one is a oven. the ram gets really hot too, because the heat pipe runs right next to the ram sockets. maybe i will pull the pipe out and make sure its clean inside. The cooling works like a blower. there is an intake fan on one side, that pulls air through the pip and over the chip. then there is a second fan cooling the pipe right before the chip.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 11:49:34 AM »
Some of the old Pentiums and all of the Core 2, Duo Core, and Quads are 64 bit capable.

Obes and I are both using 64 bit OS.

I just upped my CPU from an E7200 to an E8400.

Also heat is NOT a current Intel downfall.  I overclocked my E7200 from 2.53 to 3.5 and only picked up 1 degree C.  I am sure part of it was due to an aftermarket cooler, but still.  1 degree C?  Nice.

I am fooling with overclocking the E8400.  I set it from 3GHZ to 3.78 and let it run hot and hard while I am at work today.  If it is stable when I get home, I will bump it to 4GHZ and if it remains stable leave it there.

I use this CPU cooler..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 09:55:07 AM »
It is running cooler since i cleaned the fans and pipe, but it still needs some new compound. I cant see the actual tempature, though. The bios that gateway used with this motherboard leave ALOT to be desired. I cant see tempature, and it is barely even configurable. Basically the bios let me change boot order, thats about it.

I installed my Laptop Hardware Control Utility and it was able to monitor hard drive tempature, but i got "--" for cpu so my guess is that this motherboard has no heat probe. Based on that i would be nervous to push this thing at all (via softclocking), especially being a gateway. It absolutely flies as it is, so im just happy to have such a kickass machine.

I would never buy an intel, or a gateway, but heres hoping this one lasts a long time and proves me wrong. And can someone move this to hardware? dunno how i managed to post it here....

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 12:54:40 PM »
Put some MX in place of the stock grease.  You will pick up an easy 2 degrees C maybe more.  Depends upon the quality of the stock grease.  Well, and how well you apply the MX.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186020

I always prep with the two surfaces with these first.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 01:06:28 PM »
I wont use anything but AS for grease. And that clearner is kind of a rip off imo. If your doing it right the heatsink and chip are both being lapped for smooth, even contact surfaces making that stuff kinda null and void :)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 06:00:12 PM »
Even after lapping, which is counter productive unless you are doing it on a trued machinist grade lapping block set, you should degrease and purify the surfaces.

And I mentioned MX-2 specifically rather than just AS.  It is superior in thermal conductivity and ease of application to AS 5.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 06:03:21 PM »
Benchmark tests that show the superiority please....

and i had a feeling you would get all micro technical with the lapping. I agree that some random guy with a sanding block is probably doing more harm then good. But someone who knows what their doing should see benifits from it. I got into lapping on a much more focused level when i began to play with alternative cooling. On one of my water rigs i lost somewhere around 7-10 degrees in a controlled test with a good lap job.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 10:39:46 AM »
Hey knuck whats a good upgrade cpu? Right now it has a T5550 @ 1.83. I have another chip i pulled from a laptop with a dead LCD, and it appears to be a dual core. It's an intel 2.0/2m/533. i have a hard time reading all the little numbers but im pretty damn sure its a core duo, and would be a slight ghz bump. If its worth it i will install it.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 12:42:47 PM »
Laptop = Dunno

Sorry man.

Oh.  FYI you should be using than in your sentence structure (above) not then.   :dunno:

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 01:02:17 PM »
i dont see a than or then in my post :dunno:

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 02:21:23 PM »
Benchmark tests that show the superiority please....

and i had a feeling you would get all micro technical with the lapping. I agree that some random guy with a sanding block is probably doing more harm then good. But someone who knows what their doing should see benifits from it. I got into lapping on a much more focused level when i began to play with alternative cooling. On one of my water rigs i lost somewhere around 7-10 degrees in a controlled test with a good lap job.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 02:22:32 PM »
Not a grammar nazi.  Just thought you might find the information useful.

:D

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 02:41:15 PM »
oh THAT post, lol. i re-read my last one like 10 times i thought you lost it.

I get then and than backwards alot, always have.