Author Topic: Airplane Mode  (Read 3406 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Airplane Mode
« on: November 26, 2006, 06:13:54 PM »
I have a RAZR v3m and I noticed during my many recent business trips that it has "airplane" mode, where it basically disconnects you from the phone network.  Does anyone else use this or do you just turn the phone off?  It just seems faster to me than going through the entire shutdown/restart.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Airplane Mode
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 06:30:08 PM »
I've got it on my Blackberry, but I usually just shut it off when I'm on a plane.  It comes back on right away, so I don't have the problem of waiting for bootup.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 06:37:24 PM »
I have to do that with my phone because it doesn't actually turn off. Not that I've been on a plane anytime lately but going into hospitals and stuff like that.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 07:21:02 PM »
My PDA has airplane mode. As I understand it, even if I turn it off it'll still wake up for SMS messages or calls unless it's in airplane mode. As calls etc. can interfere with avionics turning it off isn't sufficient.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 11:34:35 AM »
>As calls etc. can interfere with avionics

And or provide a means for phone calls on a plane that isn't $3.99 / minute... and cause instanity to anyone sitting beside a female teenager.

Cell phones on a plane are a bad idea...

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 11:45:00 AM »
oh how I hate having to listen to people talk on their cell phones.  Its bad enough when the plane lands and you're waiting to get off and you have to listen to 30 people all have the same conversation: "yup, we just landed....waiting to get off the plane now....see you soon.... I love you...."

and why do people think they have to yell when they're on the phone? 

Its like they don't understand how the phone works: the person you're talking to, though very far away, can instantly hear you. You do NOT NEED TO YELL for them to hear you.

my father in law is a loud cell phone talker - and he took a bus from Richmond, VA to Hartford, CT.  The bus driver told him to "shut up" sometime around Delaware.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 12:09:52 PM »
Ick... my mom is a loud phone talker in general.  Unfortunately, I've forgotten this in the past a few times when talking to my dad and he hands the phone to my mom... I swear my ear rings for at least a few hours.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 03:39:16 PM »
>and why do people think they have to yell when they're on the phone? 

oooh I love this one. You see, some people don't hear well... sooo, if they can't hear the person they're talking too.. .they start talking louder... somehow thinking that by them screaming into the phone, they'll hear the other person better. classic.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 04:16:32 PM »
My mom has bad hearing AND spends a lot of time talking to old people on the phone (she's a nurse).  This results in a lot of yelling.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 07:18:08 PM »
My dad is awful about yelling on the phone.  We'll be walking into a buissness while he yells about some client...is this just an old person thing?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 10:19:52 PM »
My PDA has airplane mode. As I understand it, even if I turn it off it'll still wake up for SMS messages or calls unless it's in airplane mode. As calls etc. can interfere with avionics turning it off isn't sufficient.
I think I'd be pissed off if I turned my phone off only to have it turn itself back on.  You can be sure the next gesture would be yanking the battery out and yelling "Try turning yourself back on now bitch" at the phone :P