Author Topic: 13" MacBook Pro  (Read 2350 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
13" MacBook Pro
« on: September 28, 2009, 12:26:21 PM »
My girlfriend just got one of these so I though I'd post a little review for ya.

The laptop is pretty sweet, 2.26 GHz dual core CPU, 2GB RAM, and 160 GB Hard drive. LED screen, solid aluminum body built from a single piece of metal, 7 hour lithium battery, multi-touch track pad, and all of the other standard stuff you'd expect from a laptop.

She paid $1,299 CDN (~$1,197.74 USD) and got an 8 GB iPod Touch and an All-in-one Printer/scanner thing for free (the iPod touch is $279 and the printer around $200 IIRC).

The laptop itself is great, you pick it up and it feels like you could smash someone over the head with it without causing any damage to the laptop. At the same time it's pretty light,  4.5 lbs.

The multi-touch track pad is pretty cool too. You get the basic functions like the iPod touch has (flipping through pics, zooming, etc..) and also some gestures that can activate different functions. It distinguishes between single, double, and 4-point touches. So single moves the mouse, double scrolls, and 4-point can be used to activate mosaic (the zoom out window organization display) or view the desktop, etc...

The LED display is very nice, a noticeable difference from my LCD display. Very bright and the dark colours come through nice. 13" is a good size, a nice trade-off between screen space and being small enough to carry around on a regular basis.

The laptop is fast and responsive with 2GB of RAM. The latest version of OSX (snow leopard) is nice as well, similar to previous versions but they've made some improvements to some noticeable things like the way mosaic organizes the windows. I think I may try and upgrade my macbook with her CDs if I can.

The battery life is AMAZING. You can actually use the thing for around 6 to 7 hours on a single charge. The only downside is that the battery is sealed inside the solid body. You need to remove the keyboard to get to it. We almost didn't get the laptop because of this, but then we found the pricing for replacement, and it's only $30 more than the cost of a battery in the original MacBook.

Overall, 9.5/10.