Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19  (Read 65037 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Coronavirus COVID-19
« on: February 26, 2020, 04:08:11 PM »
thoughts?

this is a cool map: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

It is already disrupting the supply chain in my industry - lead times on equipment are 3 to 5 months where they were 3 to 6 weeks before.

Either way, if you don't have a home emergency food/water supply - this is a good time to think about it. Even if nothing happens out of this, it is good to have 3-7 days of things on hand.

I don't think it will be "deadly" here in North America, but I think it will affect economy and industry significantly.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 06:14:34 AM »
It doesn't seem to be a super dangerous like SARS or Ebola I suppose.  Sure spreads easily though.  I think that it will go on well past 2020 and the economic effects will depend upon how well we learn to manage it.

This has been floating around.  https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aAgLBRZ_700bwp.webp

Seems like this would be right up Jen's alley...

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 09:15:27 AM »
I think it's sort of being blown out of proportion.  Based on the numbers, it's not even as deadly as the normal flu from what I heard.  Yes it spreads but so does the normal flu.  Maybe I'm missing something but I think we'd all be better off if this was just treated like another strain of what we get every year.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 02:41:03 PM »
I think it's sort of being blown out of proportion.  Based on the numbers, it's not even as deadly as the normal flu from what I heard.  Yes it spreads but so does the normal flu.  Maybe I'm missing something but I think we'd all be better off if this was just treated like another strain of what we get every year.

I agree with this, but would caveat that this hyper awareness is a great way to also stop the spread of the flu and other, more common viruses.  Screening at airports and forced quarantine, required hand washing in certain areas or normalizing the wearing of protective masks, could all help reduce easily transmitted pathogens. There's a balance there somewhere between an abundance-of-caution and civil/personal liberties...but this is an interesting real-world case study of how we can prepare for both pandemic and regional-viral outbreaks.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 02:55:10 PM »
Here's one image on current potential infection and fatality rate:

I personally don't see people freaking out yet but it's legitimately a big story and they can't really be sure yet how bad it can get. Worth monitoring here in the U.S. and hopefully health officials are preparing.

This has been floating around.  https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aAgLBRZ_700bwp.webp

Some very bad logic in that infographic. :eek:

Based on the numbers, it's not even as deadly as the normal flu from what I heard.

Even if this is true, the flu kills a lot of people! We should do more to work on that.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 06:16:58 PM »
My wife is starting to stock up on some non-perishables and water just in case. While I don't think it'll come to widespread panic stage, it's possible that it causes inconvenience and like Jake said, it's just a good idea in general.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 09:13:29 AM »
I also stocked up on some non-perishables. If I end up not needing it I'll make a nice donation to the food bank.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 04:57:16 PM »
I mean, they are non-perishables.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 05:00:44 PM »
We have a whole bunch of nonperishables and frozen already in our pantry and freezer and just trying to maintain stock. Trying to avoid the supermarkets and the big stores on busy days though. They're complete madhouses.

The hospital I work at is implementing a bunch of measures to ensure patient and staff safety. We are NOT an emergency hospital and trying our hardest to avoid any unnecessary exposure. All hospital-sponsored travel to/from China, HK, Taiwan, SK, Italy, Iran, and Japan were suspended. Staff have been asked to notify management of ANY upcoming international travel. Personal travel to those areas may result in a quarantine upon return. All international patients from those areas have been postponed until further notice.

But on the ground, the response is the same as the flu. Practice respiratory and hand hygiene, get the flu vaccine, clean and disinfect surfaces frequently, and don't come to work sick.

I'm worried about the economic impact for small business in addition to the macro scale. I've definitely heard of 1st hand accounts of small dry cleaners, nail salons, liquor stores all losing business this past week. No one has been coming in, presumably because of the virus scare.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 09:36:46 PM »
We ran out to Costco this evening to grab a few things and they were completely out of water, paper towels, and toilet paper. They were running low on rice and some canned goods. And this is just the beginning

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 10:49:36 PM »
My wife stopped at Target on her way home today for normal stuff and sent me a picture of the cleared out cold med and pain med isles. She said it was insane and people are crazy. Meanwhile, I stopped off on my way home to a different store for some OJ (not Target and other side of town) and everything seemed normal.

I heard from some coworkers though that the Costcos around here were crazy last weekend too.
This signature intentionally left blank.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 06:41:10 AM »
My girlfriends corporate boss sent out an e-mail saying "There is a serious shortage of hand sanitizer and Lysol wipes. Please stop what you are doing and go get some for your store. This is important for the safety of our teams. React and stock up."   She sent me a screenshot and was like LOL that's ridiculous.  She inevitably sent an employee to walmart which was completely sold out of everything!  She called a few other businesses and was able to get the local dollar store to hold 20-bottles of hand sanitizer. Crazy.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 11:26:58 AM »
I asked about hand sanitizer at our drug store and the pharmacist (literally) laughed at me. They've been sold out for a long time and can't get anymore in stock.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 03:56:13 PM »
Welp. Hospital has shut down all work-sponsored domestic and international travel for at least the next 60 days. None of the physicians get to go to their big meeting at the end of the month. My bosses don't get to go to New Orleans in April. And I have to cancel my trip to Wisconsin in May.

Oh, but we're allowed to go to the Knicks game today. LOL