Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 7937 times)

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
Facebook
« on: October 04, 2021, 04:51:24 PM »
Well WhatsApp being down affects a lot in Finland.  Many people rely on it... sucked when FB bought it. 

My kids teacher sends us updates through WhatsApp even... heh.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Facebook
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 10:54:56 PM »
Never used it.  Partially because FB owns it.  One of the first things the guys at work said was 'we're not the only ones that go down' lol

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 11:35:05 PM »
If you never taken down production are you a real engineer?  If an engineer hasn't taken down your entire network via DNS are you a real tech company?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 12:01:48 AM »
Probably not.  I specifically ask my Ops guys when I hire them what their biggest fuckup has been.  Let's me know how they've grown the hair on the chest and lost it on their heads.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 08:03:28 AM »
Never used it.  Partially because FB owns it.  One of the first things the guys at work said was 'we're not the only ones that go down' lol

:)

WhatsApp has been on my chopping block list ever since FB bought it.  It is hard to get rid of though... my wife only calls using her cell phone data with WhatsApp.  (which drives me crazy... she has an actual CELL PHONE, but it has unlimited data - so whatever I suppose).  My kids do too.  Voice over data has supplanted just a normal phone call in my family.  Last night my wife was in the other room and she wanted to ask me if it was safe to take benadryl after taking zyrtec in the morning. (allergies... bleh)  She sent me a whatsapp message, but it was down.  When she remembered, she knocked on the wall to get me to come over.  So yeah... WhatsApp is the first mode of communication in our lives... followed by banging on things - haha.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 08:11:51 AM »
Oh... I just remembered the other day I sent her a text message of a place we were going to. 
She opened whatsapp and said, "I don't see a message."
Me, "It is a text message."
Her, "Where is that?"
*sigh* fml

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 10:30:19 AM »
I like WhatsApp, it's a simple chat app without all the crap and even though FB bought it it is still one of the few chat apps that is end to end encrypted.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 10:31:13 AM »
I make a point of watching this at least once or twice per year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p8wTOr8AbU

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 10:47:05 AM »
I guess I'm unclear why so much of the world uses apps like whatsapp instead of just normal SMS?  Is it just because you can embed other things?  There's not a whole lot I can't do with SMS now.  I know Apple is a little more advanced than Android when it comes to that stuff though.  I guess I just don't see a good reason to use something else.  I mean granted, work stuff goes through Teams and I use Discord with a few people, but 90% of my other comms goes through normal SMS.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 01:34:46 PM »
I guess I'm unclear why so much of the world uses apps like whatsapp instead of just normal SMS?  Is it just because you can embed other things?  There's not a whole lot I can't do with SMS now.  I know Apple is a little more advanced than Android when it comes to that stuff though.  I guess I just don't see a good reason to use something else.  I mean granted, work stuff goes through Teams and I use Discord with a few people, but 90% of my other comms goes through normal SMS.

I'm right there with you when you're in the same country - but international calls can still be pretty costly. My wife uses whatsapp to talk with her family in Poland. My folks are not too techincal, so I still use a regular phone connection. I talk to them and to my grandmother 5 or 6 times a month, and pay around $20.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 02:09:24 PM »
I do get the international stuff - that makes total sense.  I guess my question was more domestically, even within other countries.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 10:04:13 AM »
Group chats over SMS don't work very well.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 10:36:54 AM »
That's true - gotta be honest... as an iPhone user, I hate seeing green bubbles.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 01:47:42 PM »
+1 for group chats suck over SMS

Also, I prefer multi-device functionality.  I still use google voice for "text" messages and everything else is usually facebook messenger.  I just keep the browser windows open all day on my computer. I hate typing on my phone.  I know technically verizon has a web interface for SMS but it is horrible and you have to log into their website to get to it.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 05:33:10 AM »
Yeah... for us, a big part of using Whatsapp are the groups we set up for our family across international boundaries. It created simple habits for relatively non-technical users - so they use it for all communication.  (voice and text) 

For me... I have a dual SIM phone with Google Fi and DNA (local cell service provider).  I regularly use normal cell services (call and text) on two numbers, WhatsApp, Discord, Slack, Zoom (meetings and voip phone), Vonage Extensions, and email.

Regarding Google Fi (https://fi.google.com/about)... best thing since sliced bread.  It is fkn awesome for a person travelling.  My US number works the same anywhere without worrying about exorbitant costs.  I cannot say enough good stuff about it.