Author Topic: Kale  (Read 2253 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Kale
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:35:01 PM »
So bought some Kale last night and had it for dinner last night, with breakfast this morning, and again with dinner tonight.  An amazing veggie.  From what I read you pretty much HAVE to cook it and from a few nibbles I kinda agree.

Last night I cooked up some bacon first, then pulled it out and added the kale to the fat, chopped the bacon and added it back.  This morning I just put it in with some olive oil.  This evening I used some of the oil from the fried chicken (after passing it through a strainer) and added some fresh lemon juice afterwards.

Cooks really fast, like a little over a minute.  Turns this nice deep green color that contrasts nicely with the rest of the plate.

The prep work is a little annoying.  Basically, remove the center steam, then roll the leaves up into a tube and slice the tube.  I got the really curly type of kale so it was a bit of a pain to roll it up.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Kale
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 06:51:01 AM »
Never even heard of kale before
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 07:21:21 AM »
I've seen it a thousand times on cooking shows and I'm sure I've had it in restaurants, but I've never made it myself.  What's it's taste like?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:23:05 AM »
Once cooked it is pretty mild with a bit of tang to it.  Uncooked it has a somewhat bitter taste to it.  I'll pick some more up for tonight and try to give you a better answer.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:47:20 AM »
It can be pretty bitter, but I like it now and again.  Pretty high on the list of healthy veggies though.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 02:00:18 PM »
We do kale chips. Cut it as Mike described or just break it apart like we do, put it on a baking sheet with some olive oil and salt and put it in the oven until they're to your level of crispiness. Even when they're a little bitter they can be addictive, probably because of the oil and salt. Our kids devour them. They do stick with you though, I've had kale burps hours after a meal.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 07:58:33 PM »
I wonder if i can get it here
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?