Author Topic: Hard Drive Failure - Ober's Revenge, the sequel  (Read 2432 times)

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
Hard Drive Failure - Ober's Revenge, the sequel
« on: December 31, 2013, 07:32:05 PM »
So our family computer (a dell all in one) fell over two days ago after 1.5 years of service.  The BIOS didn't recognize the hard drive no matter what I did... including reseating cables, etc.  (I have 5 years of Carbonite... so all of my data and my wife's 300GB in photos are safe.)  I have a SATA USB device and so I took the hard drive out and plugged into the USB port on her laptop... and the hard disk worked fine!  Ran a checkdisk and there was a couple of "found" files... but everything else was there.

Ok so now I was thinking SATA controller (which is built on the MB).  So I was bummed that I am out of warranty period and probably need to buy a new computer. I put in an older 750 GB drive I had laying around, and the drive worked fine.  Installed Win 7 on it and started restoring files.  Here I sit the next day and everything is running strong.  (data restore will take days though I could just copy most of it from the old drive... figured I would see if Carbonite will work it out for me)

Question is... why would a drive that I can mount and get data off of not work at all as a boot device? Ideas?
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Hard Drive Failure - Ober's Revenge, the sequel
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 12:38:38 AM »
Guessing here, but HDDs use more power as they age and PSs provide less as they age.  Connections and components across the system age.

Sounds like you are skating the edge.  If you lose data because you don't keep backups these days...well...you know.