Author Topic: BBQ  (Read 5646 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
BBQ
« on: September 06, 2007, 11:54:13 AM »
Just moved to a new place, and it's the first building I've ever lived in that allows BBQs on balconies. Hell yeah!

I bought a BBQ and have sinced made steak, burgers, pork chops, potatoes, and corn on the cob. I'm lovin me some BBQ.

Anyone else obsessive about BBQing? What should I grill up next?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: BBQ
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 12:00:50 PM »
LOL, i was listening to the streaming radio as i read your post and the singer said "hell yeah!" at the exact same moment i read the phrase in your post.  WEIRD!!!

anyway, I love grilling! to bad i live in an apartment complex that doesn't let us grill. it stinks.  I do have a nice cast-iron grill pan i use on our stove but its not the same thing at all.  :(

we have a nice "courtyard" area that would be perfect for it too.  Oh well.

oh, also, depending on your regional location, you might not be able to technically call it BBQ if you're just "grilling" hamburgers and the like.  But don't ask me, i'm no expert on the subject.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 12:26:43 PM »
I had the best BBQ I've had in my life last weekend at Mark's Feed Store in Louisville.  I had heard the term "falling off the bone" before but never seen it until I went there.  I literally tried to pick up a rib and the bone came right out of the meat.

I grill all the time but it's not BBQ

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 12:35:11 PM »
I finally have a grill. Acquired it from a friend who moved to gas. I have yet to do any grilling on it but I was thinking about giving it a whirl over the weekend.
I love grilled food when other people make it but grilling takes time and I'm generally lazy.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 12:54:47 PM »
If you've got charcoal try using a chimney or an electric starter.  That way you avoid the lighter fluid taste.  I used an electric starter at my last apartment because they didn't like the big flames lighter fluid made - it takes about 15 minutes to get the coals started but it's worth it IMO

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 02:42:22 PM »
oh, also, depending on your regional location, you might not be able to technically call it BBQ if you're just "grilling" hamburgers and the like.  But don't ask me, i'm no expert on the subject.

oh i see. I mean a propane BBQ. I love charcoal but thats probably a little dangerous for the balcony.

I think I'll try some ribs this weekend.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 02:43:55 PM »
oh i see. I mean a propane BBQ. I love charcoal but thats probably a little dangerous for the balcony.
He means that BBQ is basically a food group in some areas.

I used a charcoal grill on a balcony for a year with no problems at all.  If you use the electric starter like I said you don't even have any flames.  Be careful with it, but it's safe.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 03:10:46 PM »
Veggies on a stick or pineapple.

Lightly oil green onions lighty salt...yum!

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 03:17:32 PM »
Hmmm... I used a charcoal BBQ with plenty of lighter fluid on a balcony for several years (although we only barbequed a few times a year). Was I just lucky that I didn't burn my apartment complex down?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 03:25:05 PM by charlie »

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 03:21:47 PM »
No, I think it's just a greater chance when you open your lid and you've got these great big flames shooting out

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 04:14:23 PM »
charcoal + blow torch = very nice coals
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 04:38:45 PM »
charcoal + blow torch = very nice coals

Very nice incinerated coals that is. ;)
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 05:14:41 PM »
nah not if its done right.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 07:00:45 PM »
I've got a tripod gas BBQ.  We're only now just coming out of winter so it's been under the house now for a few months.  Will get it going again this spring/summer.  My dad gave it to me in November last year, I've probably cooked up some 50+ dinners and one party on it (Australia Day).  Cooks up great too, I'm going to try doing a roast on it at some point as well.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 09:00:49 PM »
>We're only now just coming out of winter so it's been under the house now for a few months

My family has always BBQed all year round, in the winter we dig a path through the snow from the back door to the BBQ. We won't do it on the coldest days of the year or anything (~ -35 C), but when we get a not so windy day with sun BBQ was always an option.

I plan on BBQing this winter, we'll see how it goes.