Author Topic: Laptop help  (Read 2855 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Laptop help
« on: October 30, 2005, 01:08:16 PM »
Ok I know that when I transfer to UC Davis I'll need a laptop.  Since I'll still take my desktop with me I have the following as my uses for it:

internet usage
programming
report writing
possibily audio recording

For those usages do you think a Celeron process would be good enough?

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Laptop help
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 01:51:48 PM »
For those uses, I'm sure a celeron is perfectly fine, but I can almost guarantee, that you're going to be using your laptop for more than that even with your desktop.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Laptop help
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 01:58:49 PM »
Quote from: jkim
For those uses, I'm sure a celeron is perfectly fine, but I can almost guarantee, that you're going to be using your laptop for more than that even with your desktop.

probably so, but I'm going to purchase one that fulls my needs and not my wants.

Dumah

• Jackass IV
Laptop help
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 02:45:52 PM »
I always go for a decent AMD or a Pentium. The few Celerons I've dealt with (usually office PCs that I didnt buy) never come up to standard. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but that's how I feel.

When I bought my laptop, I went for a fairly decent one (AMD Athalon Compaq) with enough to keep me going. The logic was that as laptops cost a fortune to upgrade, if you I to play decent games or have decent multimedia capabilities (IE Audio Editing) then I'd use my desktop for that as upgrading a desktop on a periodic basis is relatively cheap.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Laptop help
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 08:18:53 AM »
I totally disagree... I use my laptop for very little (surfing, looking at pictures, watching movies, etc).

Celeron would be fine for what you're talking about, and will probably save you some heat issues.  But I personally couldn't pass up the Pentium M series processors.