Author Topic: What is a sport?  (Read 8532 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
What is a sport?
« on: January 11, 2007, 08:40:36 AM »
Everyone's got their own definition of what a "sport" is.  Some people don't consider things like golf, auto racing, and pro wrestling sports, while some other people consider things like darts, poker, and dominoes sports.  What makes something a "sport" to you?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: What is a sport?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 09:14:42 AM »
the American Heritage Dictionary defines "Sport" as a "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively."

I think people sometimes don't remember the keyword "Physical" is part of the definition.  Physical is defined as "Involving or characterized by vigorous bodily activity" (the keyword being "vigorous").

Of course, I generally define "sports" as anything thats on espn or espn2 (which includes darts, fishing, and pistol shooting)  :dunno:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 09:21:35 AM »
sex.

hehehe
This signature intentionally left blank.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 09:54:05 AM »
> "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively."

How physical does that have to be?

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 10:12:41 AM »
Anything with a martial (physical or skill) origin or basis. Most sports seemed to be derived from military exercises anyway: darts, archery, javelin, running, shooting, discus, high/long jump etc. Same with team sports - most of those are just organised warfare.

I'd go along with shooting and driving as sports - they both have a strong military association, albeit only in the context of modern warfare.

The joke of tv 'wrestling' is hardly sport: it's clearly highly choreographed with no other intent than to create a show rather than a realistic contest of skill. This is obviously different from proper wrestling/boxing (neither of which I care for) which are sports.

Ladies beach volleyball is a sport, too.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 10:22:57 AM »
> The joke of tv 'wrestling' is hardly sport: it's clearly highly choreographed with no other intent than to create a show rather than a realistic contest of skill.

I see no difference between it and say, gymnastics.  Sure, the results are predetermined, but it takes quite a lot of athletic skill to do what they do.

> Ladies beach volleyball is a sport, too.

You're goddamn right it is.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 11:23:42 AM »
>I see no difference between it and say, gymnastics.  Sure, the results are
>predetermined, but it takes quite a lot of athletic skill to do what they do.

I think being competative needs to be part of the definition. WWF or WWE or whatever they call it now isn't a sport.

Poker isn't a sport either, despite being on TSN.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 11:25:25 AM »
I guess, I don't mean to be arguing that wrestling is/isn't a sport - it's defined as "sports entertainment".  I just take issue with the people who say it takes no skill, which I guess no one has said here.  So... yeah.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 01:13:22 PM »
I think anything physical is a sport:
Racing
Golf
Darts
Gymnastics

Things I don't consider "sports":
WWE type wrestling (yes... it's a physical activity, but you make some of the same motions in the ballet... and that's not a sport)
Poker... fucking please

Basically, I consider it a sport if people are legitimately (sp?) competing in a physical activity for a legit reward.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 02:29:03 PM »
There are sports and there are games. Poker is a game, not a sport. I'd say darts is a game not a sport. Golf might even be a game, but that's a little tougher call.

Pro wrestling is not a sport, and that really shouldn't even be a question. It is entertainment that uses a sport as its vehicle (like We Are Marshall).

Honestly, though, I can't think of any situation that it would matter other than for mindless conversation. If it is a competetion, I like it. I'll watch it. I'll wish I could compete in it. Whether it is football, football, darts, curling, fishing, poker, or racewalking, if I have imagined myself winning at it, then it's all good to me.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 03:20:42 PM »
While we're on the topic, what do you think makes an Olympic sport? I was a little disapointed when curling got approved. Its a fun sport and everything, but 40 something year old guys with beer bellies are not what i think of as Olympiads (eg. Furby).

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 05:09:32 PM »
Difference between a game and a sport?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 05:15:22 PM »
I think games involve less physical activity than sports

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 05:17:50 PM »
Difference between a game and a sport?

I guess how much the competition requires physical skills versus mental skills. Golf might be a sport because even though you don't have to be in great physical shape to play it, you do have to have certain physical skills. Maybe by that definition darts, curling, etc, are all sports rather than games, because the competition is based on the exhibition of a physical skill.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 06:42:38 PM »
>>While we're on the topic, what do you think makes an Olympic sport? I was a little disapointed when curling got approved. Its a fun sport and everything, but 40 something year old guys with beer bellies are not what i think of as Olympiads (eg. Furby).

I curled a few years in high school and everyone also argued how it wasnt a sport.  If you have every watched it to see how hard they are breathing after they sweep, you would realize that its not like sweeping your kitchen floor.  And you have to remember Furby doesnt sweep.. so he can have a belly :P

I hate the WWE/WWF, that is so not a sport.

I have seen spelling contests on before!!!!!