Author Topic: Books Books Books!  (Read 6888 times)

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
Books Books Books!
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:11:52 AM »
So I've been reading/listening) a ton this year and not reporting on any of it....Here's my quick hit list....

First Law Series by Joe Abercrombie - Great dark dark fantasy with a great dark hero.  Good world, solid writing.  The whole series was a solid read.   The Blade itself is book 1

The Rook: A Novel by Daniel O'Malley - Amazing mystery/fantasy set in modern England.  Decent writing, super engaging world.  Highly recommen- though the second book is no where in sight.

Hunted: The Iron Druid Chronicles Book 6.  Cannot say enough good things about Iron Druid.  Amazing fantasy in modern world.  Funny, smart, quick...and just fun.  If you haven't read them - highly recommend (and the audiobooks are very well read).  They're almost family friendly, but I think I'd rate them at PG-13

Gardens of the moon by Steven Erikson - I know it's supposed to be a classic, but I just haven't been able to get into it yet.

Desden Files - I'm 5 books in...haven't quite been able to finish the 5th.  I know it's supposed to me AMAZING, and I enjoy it, but I don't love it as much as others....I'll try to push through at some point cause I know it's suppose to really pickup starting with book 6.

Dragons of Autumn (Dragon Lance) - Knuck's recommendation...I was meh on it.  Fairly bland fantasy...I'm sure it was better when Knuck was 13.

Army of One by BV Larson - it was free, I don't think I finished it....

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman - Gaiman at his best.  Excellent modern lit/fantasy.  Amazing wordsmithing and worldbuilding

Non-fiction: American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America by Colin Woodward.  I'm slowly picking through this one.  It's well written and a fascinating take at American history and current culture/conflict.  There were a lot of articles written about it when it first came out.  Highly recommend reading at least those.

Anglemaker by Nick Harkaway - modern mystery fantasy in London again.  I couldn't get into it.  Too slow paced for me, but good world building.

Rain Wild Chronicles by Robin Hobb - I grabbed this whole series on super sale.  It's solid.  I'm two books in but fizzled because it's a bit slow.  I'll probably come back to it.

The Merchant Dealth of Pendragon - Apparently I bought this, musta been on sale.  I should listen/read it at some point...

Safehold Series by David Weber - Reading out of obligation.  Total trash sci-fi reading.  Decent time waster.  I enjoy it, but I probably wouldn't start the series if I had to do it over again.  Formulatic David Weber.

Words of Radiance: Stormlight Archives Book 2 by Brandon Sanderson - Read it.  Do it.  So good.  Amazing world building and writing.  The pace really picks up in the back half as appears to be Sanderson's style...but the pace overall here really picks up compared to book 1.  The world really starts coming into focus.

Let's Pretend This Never Happened A Mostly True Memoir - Really great memoir read by the author - Jenny Lawson - about growing up with an anxiety disorder in rural texas.  Hilarious.

Wild By Cheryl Strayed - recently bought, still need to read - about hiking the trail that ethic is currently on.

Blood Song: Raven's Shadow by Anthony Ryan - military fantasy.  No elves here.  Good book.  Fast pace.  Really caught my attention.  Well written with a cool world.  Looking forward to book 2

Promise of Blood by Brain McClellan - another miltary fantasy that I'll finish later today.  It's decent.  I got it from the same list as Blood Song.  Well paced and interesting idea for a world, but it's a bit underdeveloped IMO and the plot is simplistic.

Okay - that's the end of my procrastination...until you guys respond!  What should I be reading????

PS - Yes - audible and I really take advantage of each other.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Books Books Books!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:20:28 AM »
Did you read "Best Served Cold"? It's in the same universe as First Law and shares some characters

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 11:22:42 AM »
No I didn't!  Is it good?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 11:27:55 AM »
It's enjoyable!

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 06:28:34 AM »
Try...
Patient Zero: The Joe Ledger Novels, Book 1

The Lost Fleet: Dauntless

The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World

Read the first two in the First Law Series they heard the last is a POS.  Opinion?

Agree with you on DragonLance.

Already finished Words of Radiance.

The next Iron Druid book hits in June or July.  MUST be listened to not read.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 07:59:14 AM »
I don't remember having any strong negative feelings about the last First Law book.  I think it's worth reading just to see how everything ties up

I'm reading Close Range by Annie Proulx, just recently finished Detroit City is the Place to Be, A River Runs Through It, and Cannery Row.  Before that I was on a white trash crime kick and read American Salvage and Crimes in Southern Indiana.  All this travel has given me a lot of time for reading!

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 11:39:43 AM »
Yea - The last First Law didn't capture my attention like the first ones...was reading just to finish the story by the end, but that might have been because I read them in rapid order.

Last night I started Off to Be the Wizard by Scott Meyers off a strong recommendation.  It's really really good so far - some where between Iron Druid and Ready Player One....Same narrator as Iron Druid (Luke Daniels) - he's a really good reader - and it drove me nuts for the first hour of listening before I figured out that that's who it was....

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 12:05:03 PM »
Luke Daniels also reads Spirit Thief, which I just finished.  It was neat but nothing amazing.