Author Topic: Covid-19 mental health check-in  (Read 20395 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Covid-19 mental health check-in
« on: March 18, 2020, 11:28:01 AM »
I want to separate this topic from the main virus thread. I don't know about you guys, but I am feeling pretty anxious, and I bet I'm not alone. How is everyone holding up? What is your thought process about it all?

I'm not afraid of the virus itself, but I am afraid of the aftermath, as far as the economy is concerned. We have savings, but eventually that will run out...I think I'm getting ahead of myself quite a bit, and hopefully sometime in the summer we'll be back to something resembling normalcy, but what if we're not. Do I stop paying off monthly credit card balances to conserve cash? If so, when should I start. Give it a month or so?

While walking the dog this morning I thought about starting a journal for the duration of this thing. Maybe that will help a bit with coping.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Covid-19 mental health check-in
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 11:57:40 AM »
I'm certainly nervous and feeling a bit insecure.  I'm not worried too much about the money aspect as I don't see my job going away.  Our school with adapt and going even more online requires even more technology.  And I don't see businesses not accepting cards anymore.

For more it is typical uncertainty anxiety.  I can plan/work through most issues if I know what they are.  But this, this is just a ton of uncertainty where I can't plan anything.

Edit:
One thing that helps is that I have this view working from home
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:17:41 PM by Mike »

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 01:42:57 PM »
I'm anxious.

I'm still commuting into work because I have a ton of in-hospital work over the six weeks. A server migration and application upgrade 3/29, intracycle auditing "due" 3/31 (actual date is in April, but it needs to be reviewed as a whole prior to final submission), and a large upgrade involving a big UI change to another major application happening 5/3. I'm in the middle of coordinating testing for these projects while getting bombarded with requests and changes for Coronavirus testing that we're building.

I would be alternating on/off WFH but my single analyst, which I share a 10'x8' office with, is out sick until he's received an all clear from the CoV testing he had done (why am I still working?) which could be another week.

Daycare is still open for the time being. I don't like sending C to daycare right now, even if there are only 3 other kids in his class. But I have no idea how any work would get done with both of us trying to work from home with a toddler who only wants to sit on our laps and watch YouTube if we're on our computers.

We'll figure out money. We'll figure out care. We'll figure out food and logistics and all that shit. I'm just tired and tired of being on edge. These empty streets are so fucking weird.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 03:40:08 PM »
I'm honestly not that anxious about this.  Sure I don't want to get sick or whatever but my family is currently safe, we have what we need, and we have the space to spread out and we're all involved in work/school but in a different format.

I know my work situation is better than a lot of people so maybe that gives me a better feeling of security?  The only thing that has really changed is that I'm working from home, the kids don't leave the house, and we don't go to any of our normal activities.  The rest of day to day life is generally similar. 

We'll get through this.  Yes there will be fallout in a number of ways but things could be worse.  A lot worse.  I've seen a lot of positive things happening and I think this will honestly open some people's eyes to some stuff that has been swept under the rug for a while.  I don't want to say that we 'needed' this but it is a good wakeup call.  This won't be the last big virus to sweep the world.  Scientists have been saying stuff like this is a matter of if, not when, for years.  We're lucky this virus isn't more brutal.  We could have 200k+ dead, not just sick.

Count your blessings, keep your chin up.  That's all I'm saying.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 11:47:11 AM »
I'm not super stressed, more annoyed with all the shut downs and anxious about the aftermath in the coming months (and years?)
My girlfriend, who already has anxiety about a ton of stuff, is really worried that I'm going to get sick and die because of my diabetes.  Like the other night she was awake like half the night worrying.
That said, I actually called my dr's office this morning and scheduled a phone visit with him for this afternoon because I've been having some (probably not coronavirus) symptoms the past few days that are a little worrisome even to me.
So now my anxiety is up quite a bit too.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 11:59:54 AM »
Hey Jen, I feel for you - I'm thankful my kids are not toddlers any more at this time - it would be much harder...as I imagine it is for you.

Ben, good to hear that you're in a high spirits and generally optimistic - you can help the rest of us cope :p

Mike, a good view helps - my new work area and view below - those pictures are from a few days ago, because we have snow on the ground again today.

Micah, keep us posted. I hope that it is nothing serious.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 12:05:01 PM »
My anxiety is still relatively high - there is a feeling in the pit of my stomach that this situation will get much worse before it gets better. I actually made a run to Chicago yesterday to grab the rest of our supplies. My brain is telling me that I am over reacting, but my gut says other wise. So far my gut has been pretty spot on from the beginning of this thing - but there is conflict within me.

I hope that the news coming out of China is true. And I hope our run on this is similar and that within 4-6 weeks we will be back to normal.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 12:10:23 PM »
one other thing that is not helping is that I keep thinking about my folks and grand parents in Poland - my parents are in their 60's and my grandfather is almost 100 - and the pessimist in me thinks that if something would happen, I would not be able to be there for them because of the travel ban.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 03:59:12 PM »
Yesterday and today have been hard to focus on the really heavy thinking tasks.  My new work space has more distractions (some awesome like squirrels, cats, and birds and others not so much like leaf blowers) but really I just can't seem to focus.

Yesterday we decided to delay the release of our new site for a bunch of reasons.  It is 100% the right call and the rational part of my brain is totally on board.  The other part is a kid throwing a tantrum because he doesn't get to show off his new toy.  And, with the shift I need to quickly spin up new work for the programmers which requires a lot of thought.  And I just can't.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 07:32:29 PM »
I hear you on the productivity/focus issues of working from home.
I've been fairly good at doing it in the past (pre the anxiety-of-early-2019 debacle) but with this job, I'm kinda forced to use my laptop and not my home computer...and at the office I have 2 big and 1 giant monitor... I need to set up my home workspace better because its hard to work from a 14" laptop with its lame keyboard and crappy trackpad.  Plus, it's easier to get distracted... obviously with kids...but even when they're not being annoying, the temptation to procrastinate is really hard to fight
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 10:02:04 PM »
I hear ya.  I only took one monitor home for the laptop.  Today I went into the office and got a rolling whiteboard and also grabbed a mouse.  Don't want to get a second monitor and ruin my view :D

But, it was also nice that I was able to just take a 30 minute nap after lunch and I felt a lot better.  Plus I got some directions on priorities and was able to put some easier tasks ahead of the deep thought tasks.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 06:10:40 AM »
From what I understand the vast majority of us have to get it for herd immunity to do it's thing.  So be ready.  That said, you want to get it soon or in a few months, so that if you get hammered and need hospital care it is available. Ugh.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 08:36:01 AM »
From what I understand the vast majority of us have to get it for herd immunity to do it's thing.  So be ready.  That said, you want to get it soon or in a few months, so that if you get hammered and need hospital care it is available. Ugh.

I think that's really the opposite rationale that most physicians are trying to convey. Hospitals do not need a sudden surge of people "wanting" to get over the next few months for herd immunity purposes. Everyone possible should stay the fuck at home and limit transmission so that hospital care is needed for everyone and anyone that needs it. This is going to be a long-term response until a vaccine is developed.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 08:55:44 AM »
Working from home has been almost impossible for me. I'm managing to make meetings but not much else. My wife also works full time and has 0 flexibility in her schedule... so trying to juggle who works and entertains the kids has been crazy.

My mother-in-law is living with us, she was originally going to be watching the kids but has been sick and hasn't had the energy to keep up with my kids. She's starting to feel better now so hopefully things get better in the coming weeks.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 10:06:23 AM »
few days makes a difference