Author Topic: Playstation 3 on Ebay  (Read 8428 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: Playstation 3 on Ebay
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 05:02:38 PM »
If your positive that you will actually get them before x-mas than go with it... but there's a pretty good chance you'd spend a few K and end up with 10 PS3s sometime around february.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 06:11:00 AM »
So did you get one?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 10:39:46 AM »
No, my brother called me on Thrusday and said don't bother, he got in touch with his contact and wasn't going to get his hands on them for sure. So he didn't feel like spending the time to camp out and thus scrapped his plan. So no quick money. But, now the idea is in his head so the next time a situation like this comes up I wouldn't be surprised if it came up again. Time will tell.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 10:59:33 AM »
He should have hired some bums to camp the spot for him.  Hmmm camping a spot in real life... yep MMORPG have become real :P

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 02:41:58 PM »
yeah, i heard a kid in NC paid some homeless guys $100 each to camp out in line for him.  he even brought them food while they waited in line.

you know, I think the idea was good - but from what I've been hearing - there are some many people who also had this idea, that the ebay markets is going to be saturated and the profit's not going to be that high.

anyone been following the crime stories related to those waiting in line? In a town here in connecticut a guy was shot in line and someone in my town of Manchester, CT was mugged and his PS3 was stolen as he walked out of Sears at the mall.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2006, 09:01:12 PM »
i can't understand why you'd buy a console at release when a) you know they're going to drop the price sooner or later and b) the release titles are generally crap.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2006, 09:23:19 PM »
I bought the Wii because my girlfriend and I decided that our Christmas present to each other would be a Wii and some games.  It's not like it's super expensive, and there are several good launch titles available.

Plus you've got that whole "must be happy now now now" thing, too.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2006, 09:34:33 PM »
i can't understand why you'd buy a console at release when a) you know they're going to drop the price sooner or later and b) the release titles are generally crap.
c) The release version has more bugs then microsoft

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2006, 09:56:20 PM »
My Wii's been perfect so far (knock on wood)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2006, 10:51:52 PM »
I've been a playstation guy since my NES way back in the day but with the latest stuff I'm not sure I feel like upgrading my PS2 to the PS3. I might go play around with the new WII and see how I like it. The new remote seems like a really cool thing to me. Although lately I've been thinking of getting a PSP.
This signature intentionally left blank.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2006, 03:40:55 PM »
My brother-in-law bought one PS3 to sell on ebay. He had it up to almost $900, but thought he could get more later so he had his girlfriend win the auction. He just ended up selling it for about $650. Still a nice little profit. I think he'll be smarter about it next time.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2006, 03:56:40 PM »
How long did he camp out for a $50 profit (minus tax)?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2006, 04:02:17 PM »
He didn't have to camp out, he had some sort of connection. And the profit was about $175, but I'm not sure if that includes tax or not.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2006, 04:44:36 PM »
as a ebay buyer, people like your brother-in-law piss me off when they cheat on auctions by unethiclly driving up their own prices.

if he thought he could make more, why not just put a reserve on it?

at least it bit him in the ass.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2006, 05:00:03 PM »
I understand that. I think he is a novice Ebay seller, and he put it up quickly before thinking about it (he did have a reserve on it but apparently that was lower than what it should have been). I'm surprised he didn't take the original price, I told him to take it if it passed his original reserve.

By the way, I don't know for sure whether he actually used his girlfriend to "cancel" the auction. Are you allowed to cancel it if you change your mind? He might have just done that. Either way, your point still holds.