Author Topic: booooat  (Read 11231 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
booooat
« on: March 03, 2019, 09:37:58 PM »
We finally got a boat yesterday! She is an oldie, but in great shape - 1987 16' Deep V Starcraft with a 40HP Johnson Motor. The guy I bought it from lives 5 mins away and really took care of her. New interior, new seats, rewired, trolling motor, new trailer wheel bearings. We got the motor started in 32 degree weather without any problems - that sealed the deal! Even though this is a fishing boat, my wife is excited as well - I'm planning to make a bench so that she can tan and relax while I fish with the monsters.

Now I have more of a reason to anxiously await warmer weather!   :dblthumb2:

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: booooat
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 10:00:07 PM »
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 06:00:48 AM »
To me.  The best boat was always someone else's.  Like a pool for example.  Can I use your boat?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 10:29:22 PM »
took the boat out 3 times so far. Each time had its challenges!! and all of them were due to how green I am with boating. The best (and potentially scariest) one was when I got her in the water the first time and put the plug into the wrong hole! we started taking in a lot of water, thankfully we never left the dock. I quickly got her back on the trailer and it had to drain for close to 10 minutes before I could put her back in :D BTW air temp was 48 and the water was 40 that day! - I'm glad it ended the way it did and not worse.

The other two mistakes were not that bad, but each time I learned something new.

Caught my first fish out of it a three weekends ago - a 20" northern.

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 10:35:02 PM »
I also improved on the wiring of the boat. There was nothing wrong with it, as it was, but I wanted it to be more efficient and safer. Before, everything was powered with one battery: that means all the accessories and the main motor got its power from the same source. I added a second marine deep cycle battery which now powers only the accessories and the first battery is dedicated for the motor only. I added a dual battery onboard charger/maintainer - awesome investment.

Also put in a radio with two speakers - a must have! ;)

Added some other "essentials" like drink holders and rod holders. A second anchor, etc etc

For now, I am done investing in it. Now it is time to use it.

I hope to spend some quality time on it over the long weekend.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 10:44:27 PM »
Sounds awesome! Any before/after pics of the improvements? Did you do the electrical yourself?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 12:04:08 AM »
Sounds awesome! Any before/after pics of the improvements? Did you do the electrical yourself?

No, I don't have any pictures - you can't really take a picture of the wiring ;) yes, I did the electrical myself.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 12:50:09 AM »
 :thumbsup: 
you can always take pictures :) but yeah, I get it.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 06:15:51 AM »

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 01:07:52 AM »
I've been using the boat quite a bit. With my family being out, I've been working quite a bit out of the cabin and spending a lot of time fishing in the afternoons. Learning a lot about boating, and getting more comfortable with it all. I was really nervous about launching it by myself - so I watched a few youtube videos, picked up some pointers, and the whole thing is a none issue at this time. Backing up with the trail still needs some work, but is also not very difficult.

I did have an "issue" with the motor over the long weekend - essentially the water that cools the engine stopped cycling through (there is a discharge, commonly called "the pisser", through which the water that is taken in at the bottom of the motor is expelled after cooling the engine). So the pisser, was not pissing any more, and instead the water was leaving through a different spot all together. You shouldn't run the engine while this is happening, as this is the only way that it gets cooled. I first checked the oil in the "lower unit" - where the water pump is located and noticed it was low and quite milky - I drained that. Because of how little there was in there and how milky it was, I thought some gears were grinding without lubrication and the water pump died. I replaced the oil, and because I felt this job was too much for me I took the boat to a local marina.

As I was dropping the boat off, I was expecting a large repair and told them if the bill will be over $500, to first give me a call before doing anything. They called me a day later and said the boat is ready for pickup. The issue? the pisser was plugged. Dammit. My first instinct was exactly that - but I started looking into the more difficult places and after finding the milky oil I  immediately thought it was something else...oh well, live and learn.

Total repair bill: $21 and some change ! so in the meantime I found a marina that I feel will treat me fairly in the future should I need their services. I'm sure there are other places that could have stretched the truth and tell me that what I needed cost just below my max.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 02:15:09 AM »
Thats cool that they didn't try and rip you off. $21? That's like, what, 12 minutes of labor?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 06:06:23 AM »
Also wise to know how to change the prop and have a spare.  Never know what is lurking just under the surface.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 07:45:39 PM »
Also wise to know how to change the prop and have a spare.  Never know what is lurking just under the surface.

Indeed. My friend lost his on our trip to Minnesota by hitting an unmarked large rock just under the surface and I saw how the resort owner changed the prop. pretty easy process. I do have a spare in the boat.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 06:00:45 AM »
Treat your fuel.  Enzyme treatment is best these days.  Oh and watch for cracking fuel lines and such.  Rubber type products go fast on boats.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 10:39:38 AM »
This was a great first boat and I got quite a bit of experience on it. With a motor that age, there were issues, but I was able to figure most of them out myself. We have been using it quite a bit, but it wasn't super comfortable for more than 2 people - so when the whole family went out, it was pretty cramped, but we still loved it. With the new house, we are so close to the lake, and we think we will boat even more now. We will be selling the fishing boat, and are taking delivery of a pontoon in a couple of weeks :D

https://www.skipperbuds.com/inv/2021-Sylvan-8522MirageCNF-SkipperBuds-Lake-Fenton-SY21051/#mainpic

best of both worlds - lounging and fishing

It was incredibly hard to find a new pontoon - between lack of components, and a very hot market, dealers just don't have any stock. It was between this and another model, but the other model was not available anywhere within 500 miles! this one is actually coming from Michigan! The other hurdle was getting a slip at any of the local marinas. Our first choice of course was the Marina at the end of our street, but he was full - until yesterday that is! someone cancelled and we have a slip now. Can't wait!