Entertainment & Artistry > Sports/Outdoors & Manpoon

Backpacking footwear

(1/4) > >>

Perspective:
I'm starting to buy stuff for my trip to south america this summer. I found some backpacking boots on sale (Asolo, $170 CDN), but I'm not really sure if its worth while to buy them. I'm mostly going to be walking around cities with a heavy pack some of the time. Some hiking, but nothing too intense. I'm not sure if a comfortable pair of shoes would be better than expensive backpacking boots.

opinions?

Govtcheez:
If you're keeping everything in your pack, I'd just get the boots - more room in your pack that way.

KnuckleBuckett:
Decent boots are great!

I started out with a nice pair of cross-trainers when I globe trotted.  I quickly switched to Merril boots (well most of the time) to protect my ankles.  Lots of foreign cities, public transportation, trails, and stairways can be rough, uneven, have potholes all over the place, and or have protrusions friggin' everywhere.  I sliced all they way through to my sock once in Shanghai.  My boots saved my ankles and even toes more than a few times.  I suggest the boots if you can only choose one.  BTW Asolo and Merril make great products!

Knuck

Mike:
As Knuck touched on, there is a difference in support between boots and shoes.  Shoes generally support the arch of your foot, while boots are designed to protect your ankle.  With a heavy pack you can easy twist your ankle if you aren't careful and having proper support is a must.

I'd go with the boots and while you are at it pick up some boot socks also.  They are generally thicker and provide the cushion you are used to, and they also absorb the sweat better, keeping your feet drier.

Govtcheez:
> BTW Asolo and Merril make great products!

Vasque, too

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version