Entertainment & Artistry > Sports/Outdoors & Manpoon

What is a sport?

(1/4) > >>

Govtcheez:
Everyone's got their own definition of what a "sport" is.  Some people don't consider things like golf, auto racing, and pro wrestling sports, while some other people consider things like darts, poker, and dominoes sports.  What makes something a "sport" to you?

micah:
the American Heritage Dictionary defines "Sport" as a "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively."

I think people sometimes don't remember the keyword "Physical" is part of the definition.  Physical is defined as "Involving or characterized by vigorous bodily activity" (the keyword being "vigorous").

Of course, I generally define "sports" as anything thats on espn or espn2 (which includes darts, fishing, and pistol shooting)  :dunno:

hans:
sex.

hehehe

Govtcheez:
> "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively."

How physical does that have to be?

Ken Fitlike:
Anything with a martial (physical or skill) origin or basis. Most sports seemed to be derived from military exercises anyway: darts, archery, javelin, running, shooting, discus, high/long jump etc. Same with team sports - most of those are just organised warfare.

I'd go along with shooting and driving as sports - they both have a strong military association, albeit only in the context of modern warfare.

The joke of tv 'wrestling' is hardly sport: it's clearly highly choreographed with no other intent than to create a show rather than a realistic contest of skill. This is obviously different from proper wrestling/boxing (neither of which I care for) which are sports.

Ladies beach volleyball is a sport, too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version