Author Topic: Fitness megathread - discuss weight loss, fat loss, working out, etc here!  (Read 79504 times)

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
Re: Fitness megathread - discuss weight loss, fat loss, working out, etc here!
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2007, 04:01:25 PM »
Believe it or not there are few gyms in Denver, I guess the assumption is that theres too much to do outside why workout inside.  Theres one next to my work that I go to, but I work from home at least once sometimes twice a week and between that and weekends just needed a small stopgap when its too miserable outside to do biking/hiking/etc.  Where I live is kind of weird, the closest gym is 10-15 mins away and is out of the way with traffic when driving home from work.  But I live 30 mins from work so don't want to go that gym either when I'm not at the office.

Plus I currently have the upper body muscle of a 80 year old grandmother, so even simple weights can give me a decent workout.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2007, 04:10:43 PM »
I don't know where you live, but I was able to find a few name brand (Gold's, Bally, etc) in Denver pretty easily.

You don't have to go to the gym every day, you know.  Especially if you try to just start going out of nowhere, you'll get burned out right away.

"Simple weights" are going to prove to be a waste of money when you adapt to them, which'll be pretty damn quickly.

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2007, 04:18:49 PM »
You're probably right, maybe I'll just stick with the gym next to my work and screw getting anything for home.  And yeah where we live is on the outskirts of downtown, but all the gyms are either way smack in the middle of downtown (serious pain to get to) or out in the suburbs.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2007, 05:46:48 PM »
OK, now I'm gonna ask for help.  I'm having serious problems with motivation.  How do you guys keep motivated and getting out to do stuff every night (or whatever)?  I've been having trouble heading to the gym after I've had a long day and work and all I want to do is just go home, watch some TV, and veg for awhile.  This is even worse when I'm out of town for work, as my gym chain isn't anywhere else in the state, but that's a different problem.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2007, 06:11:38 PM »
OK, now I'm gonna ask for help.  I'm having serious problems with motivation.  How do you guys keep motivated and getting out to do stuff every night (or whatever)?  I've been having trouble heading to the gym after I've had a long day and work and all I want to do is just go home, watch some TV, and veg for awhile.  This is even worse when I'm out of town for work, as my gym chain isn't anywhere else in the state, but that's a different problem.

Honestly?

Just look at a fat ass like me and that should be enough.  Man you don't ever want to be a pig like me!!  We I hope are examples and motivation to the rest of society not to be like us. 

Stay fit!  Getting it back is nearly impossible.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2007, 06:12:56 PM »
> Getting it back is nearly impossible.

Well that's pretty much what I'm trying to do.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2007, 06:17:33 PM »
> Getting it back is nearly impossible.

Well that's pretty much what I'm trying to do.

You are not heavy in your photos.  You can definately snap back.  Chin up.  Look at all the fat slobs around you and use them as motivation.  Also it just feels so good after a workout.  Plus you get a stong sense of pride that stays with you and helps you through shitty days.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2007, 06:19:15 PM »
Oh, I'm not afraid that I can't, but at 5'10" 215 I am definitely heavy.

Also, lol at the "feels so good after a workout" thing - I know what you're saying, but I damn near threw up at the gym today.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2007, 06:21:59 PM »
Oh, I'm not afraid that I can't, but at 5'10" 215 I am definitely heavy.

Also, lol at the "feels so good after a workout" thing - I know what you're saying, but I damn near threw up at the gym today.

I never got that much at the gym.  I usually got that towards the end of a 10 plus mile run.  Fuuuuck that.  I was always comfortable with a 6 mile run.  Felt good without busting me up.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2007, 06:25:28 PM »
I really don't get that frequently, but I've been lazy lately and kicked my own ass today.  I probably didn't drink enough water today either.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2007, 06:27:09 PM »
just a note on motivation.
I heard a quote recently to the effect of: "Motivation is the result of actually doing something"

ever have a project at work you don't even want to start but when you finally get around to it you can't put it down?

funny thing about exercising is once you start doing it, you'll keep doing it (or so I'm told)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2007, 06:34:22 PM »
> ever have a project at work you don't even want to start but when you finally get around to it you can't put it down?

hahaha no :P

> funny thing about exercising is once you start doing it, you'll keep doing it (or so I'm told)

That's definitely true.  For me the problem in the past has been that something comes up (out of town for awhile, family emergency) and I just stop going for a little while to take some time off.  After that it's like "well, I'll go back tomorrow"

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2007, 07:01:42 PM »

FIRE UP YOU WORTHLESS SACK OF SHIT ;)

Simple - you're bored.  You need a challenge.  You need to mix up your routine a bit.

I haven't heard you mention doing much cardio, try doing some running, cycling and rowing machine work if you're not already doing it.  Also you're probably lumping in fitness as being just another chore, like work, cooking dinner and travelling.  It should be enjoyable first and foremost otherwise you're going to really hate doing it and you body will react to that, and you won't get the results you want.  Speaking of results, maybe you're just a bit too results driven? Unconsciously you might be thinking "Man, I'm busting my ass and I can't see a difference". 

Don't weigh yourself, try not to plan it too much, mix it up.  The trouble with routines are that they are routines - they get boring very quickly. 

Do something you wouldn't normally do - go rock climbing.  Go on a hiking trek.  Go biking.  Go to a batting cage.  Go to a driving range.  I know you work a lot of long and hard hours and it's not going to be easy to do this.  But one thing different every 2 weeks might help you break the boredom.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2007, 07:02:51 PM »
stealth please post a picture of yourself shirtless so i can get motivated

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2007, 11:21:19 PM »
dude i'm not ethic, i don't swing that way...