Author Topic: Deserted Island Movie Draft  (Read 101722 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Deserted Island Movie Draft
« on: August 08, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »
The Goal: Pick the best assortment of movies to have with you on a deserted island for the rest of your life.

Draft order

• axon
  • Dalamar
  • PJYelton
  • ober
  • KnuckleBuckett
  • Perspective
  • charlie

Playoff Seeds

• axon
  • KnuckleBuckett
  • Dalamar
  • ober
  • charlie
  • Perspective
  • PJYelton

Tournament Voting Semifinals
Tournament Voting Quarterfinals

Draft results by round
Draft results by person

Official Rules (Important rules in red.)

Participation

• All participants will declare their desire to participate by saying so explicitly in a comment in this thread.
  • The draft order was set some time on Friday, January 9th and is displayed above.
  • Anybody who asks to join the draft after it has begun can do so but must wait at least one full round before they can join.

Selection Rules

• The premise is that you're by yourself on a deserted island but have the best theater and sound system setup imaginable on which to watch your movies and keep you company.
  • You can pick any individual movie that has ever been released in theaters or made legally available for purchase on DVD (or video) somewhere in the world as of the day and time the draft begins. This can include made for TV movies and straight to DVD movies.
  • You may select extended versions, director's cuts, or otherwise altered versions of the original releases. Please specify the edition you would like to pick.
  • Once any edition of a movie is selected, all editions of that specific movie can no longer be chosen by anybody else.
    Example: You select the Start Wars Episode IV version originally released in theaters. I cannot select the updated version re-released twenty years later.
  • You cannot pick a combination of multiple movies even if they were released as a single movie on DVD.
    Example: Some claim the Lord of the Rings trilogy is actually just one long movie. However, because each of the three parts was originally released separately, they cannot be all taken together even if they appear together in a single DVD set.
  • Posting a link to imdb and a screenshot of the movie poster or dvd cover would be helpful (but is not required). Please make sure you do post enough information for me to find and verify the exact movie you are picking.

Draft Specifics

• The draft order will be determined by random draw via http://www.randomizer.org/form.htm. I promise I won't cheat.
  • The draft will be a snake draft, meaning that whoever has the last pick in one round will have the first pick in the next. For example, if we have six people they will pick like this: 1-2-3-4-5-6-6-5-4-3-2-1-1-2-3...
  • There will be 16 rounds, meaning everybody gets 16 movies. This is open for discussion, we can do more or fewer rounds if desired, but based on the previous draft I think 16 is good.
  • Each person will have 24 hours to make their pick. However, Saturday and Sunday don't count (although you can still pick on the weekends if it is your turn). The 24 hours starts after the previous person's pick or after the previous person's 24 hours expires (whichever comes first).
  • Simply posting the name of your selection in this thread is enough to count it as being selected.
  • If your turn is approaching and you know you will be away from the internet, you can PM your selection to me or the person scheduled to pick after you. You can also simply announce that you will be away and that your 24 hours can be skipped as a courtesy.
  • If your turn has been skipped, you may at any time make your pick for that turn. However, you cannot pick a movie who has already been selected after your turn was skipped. If somebody else picked your movie then you are out of luck.

Judging (assuming we do this part)

• When the draft is complete, we will have a tournament style playoff of all lists. ES members will be allowed to vote in each round of the playoffs.
  • The draft participants will be seeded according to another run of the randomizer that created the draft order. Some people will likely end up with a bye in the first round based simply on the luck of the draw.
  • You will have until a few days after the draft to make up any missed picks. Anybody with more missed selections than actual selections will not be eligible for the tournament.

Let me know if you have suggestions for rule additions, deletions or alterations.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 02:40:25 PM by charlie »

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Official Picks by Round
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 06:05:51 PM »
Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5

Round 6

Round 7

Round 8

Round 9

Round 10

Round 11

Round 12

Round 13

Round 14

Round 15

Round 16

Round 17

Round 18

Round 19

Round 20

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 02:36:04 PM by charlie »

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Official Picks by Picker
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 06:05:57 PM »
axon

Dalamar

PJYelton

ober

KnuckleBuckett

Perspective

charlie

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 02:36:39 PM by charlie »

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Deserted Island Movie Draft
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 06:12:37 PM »
I'm in!
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 06:57:03 AM »
I'm in.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 02:06:32 PM »
shoore. I'm in.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 03:35:11 PM »
C'mon folks! Where'd everybody go? Nine people said they were interested in Movies and only four people have signed up.

Don't ignore the Drafts board!!!

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 03:45:53 PM »
I think I learned my lesson with the hot chicks...

... I think after "War Games" and "UHF" I'd run out of movies worth seeing over and over again.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
Yeah, I think I'm out of this one.  Dunno, part of the fun with the hot ladies draft was seeing women I had never heard of before.  Don't get the same feeling from seeing someone mention a movie I have never seen, and no time in the next few months to rent obscure movies.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 04:26:49 PM »
No worries... We still should have a good run with 8 people.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 11:54:28 AM by charlie »

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 11:55:45 AM »
So who are the four others who voted for Movies but aren't participating?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 12:58:42 PM »
Wow... silence.

With only four people it doesn't make sense to run the draft. I have no idea what the heck happened to the rest of you. :|

If people come back from vacation and pipe up I'll reconsider starting this up again, but it appears it's dead for now. Bummer.

Dalamar

• Jackass II
Re: Deserted Island Movie Draft - Sign up Now!
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 08:48:44 AM »
If this gets going, I'd like to be a part.  Call this my ***OFFICIAL REQUEST***

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 08:53:51 AM »
I'm still in.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 09:14:56 AM »
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.